Help!!! Aggressive Chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PoultryQueen29, Oct 25, 2011.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I just bought 1 barred rock chick and 1 ameraucana chick and they are in a tub full of pine shavings like I used for my 2 silkie chicks a while back. My problem is the ameraucana chick is really bullying the barred rock. It will jump, scratch, or bite every time my little barred rock chick moves! I bought them as pullet chicks but the hatchery guy said "there is always a 10% chance of a rooster." Is it possible the ameraucana is a roo and is being aggressive or just an aggressive pullet? Will it stop doing this after a while? Should I do something about it? I've had chicks do this but not this bad. The barred rock chick has a very red bite mark near it's nostril and the ameraucana has fat legs and is much bigger (signs of a rooster???). Here are some pics of them.

Ameraucana
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Barred Rock
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

To calm chicks, it is better to have the brooder larger, the room light subdued and the temperatures lowered a bit.

Tubs often get too hot, too crowed and if too illuminated, the activity of the boisterous increase. BRs can be laid back and can get over run by larger, more boisterous breeds, especially if they are roos.

I got 4 mystery chicks last spring, supposed to be BSLs, but were not, with greenish legs and they were so boisterous I pulled them out and a needy family took them and raised them. Life was much more peaceful with them gone.

3. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'll try putting them in a bigger cage and change the light bulb to a lower wattage. Thanks for the help! If I need to get rid of the ameraucana I will.

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    The little Rocks are so timid and gentle souls. Both mine are lovers and do not fight or are high up on the pecking order ever. Just real laid back kind of bird. Its a shame. Do they need more room or more food or more something?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  5. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    If you have the option, I've also read that a red light for heat will lessen the chances of pecking and fighting. Again, it goes with darkening things up a little, but I agree with everyone else's statements as well. If your brooder is big enough, is there a chance you could partition them away from each other for a while? Or maybe try setting up two feed and watering stations?

Good luck!

6. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have 2 feeders out because they eat more than they drink and I will work on a bigger cage and a colored light. Thanks everyone!

Also, does anyone have an idea about what I can do about the bite under the barred rock chick's nostril? Its bleeding and I dont know what to put on it since it will probably inhale anything I put on it. I dont want the ameraucana chick to nip at it anymore either.

7. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Can Blue-Kote be applied with a Q-tip if it can it works great on tissue that is hurt or open.

8. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Can Blue-Kote be applied with a Q-tip if it can it works great on tissue that is hurt or open.

I dont have any but if I have to i'll get some and try that [​IMG]

9. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Blue Kote is a quick-drying, protective wound dressing to treat ringworm, skin abrasions and surface wounds. It covers the wound with a deep, penetrating coating to promote clean, rapid healing. It works well for birds who have been pecked. Blue Kote has an unpleasant taste to help stop cannibalism. It comes in a 5oz. spray can. Blue Kote CANNOT be shipped out of the USA. A lot of other than spray too!

This is what My lookup found on the description.

10. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I think I will separate them with some wire first and then put some of that blue-koat on the wound. Thanks again for the help everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by