Help aggressive Pekin cockerel 10 weeks old

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by liz allen, Oct 11, 2011.

1. liz allen

liz allen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Help !! 10 week old Pekin is extremely aggressive . We hatched him beginning of August 2011 and recently everytime anyone goes near , feeding, cleaning out ect he runs at them and pecks , hands feet whatever he can get hold of.
    He pecks really hard and won't let go and has drawn blood, he even chased my ten year old daughter. He's only tiny and can be picked up in only one hand but he packs one hell of a punch, those beaks as sharp. He used to be really tame [​IMG] He's even started to pick on his hatch mates all of them bigger than him.
    I have an existing flock of sussex, marans,(large fowl)wyandotte, orpington, polish (Bamtams) Hens and 2 Orpington and 1 polish cockerels. The plan was to introduce all the newbies at 12 weeks , (Sikies x 2 wyandotte x1 pekinx1 all hens and the evil one).
    What should i do stick him in with the big boys and girls early? or try taming him again ( is this even possible?) any suggestions ??

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Cull him. You cannot change an aggressive bird. Save yourself a lot of future headaches and get rid of him now. Sorry to put it so bluntly, but I have learned that particular lesson the hard way and would encourage you to avoid making the same mistake.

Good luck.

3. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Quote:especially with kids. IMO it's not worth taking the risk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by