Help! Aggressive Rooster is Breaking my 4H'ers Heart

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cicichick, Jul 21, 2010.

1. cicichick

cicichick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    SW Ohio, Miami County
    We are new to chickens (4H project) and the lottery delivered 3 hens and 3 roosters. Until now we had one aggressive Brahma Roo. But overnight, we have an overly aggressive Black Frizzle Roo named Larry. And he was my son's favorite. Larry drew blood from me the other evening. This morning, he tried to keep my son from opening up the coop. He was in tears. Any suggestions on what we do? He was hoping to show Larry at the Fair, but right now, I'm afraid Larry is going to make that impossible. Thanks in advance!!

2. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
  3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
  4. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Can you seperate the two roos? Maybe put one in a dog crate for a few days. They might be trying to assert dominance - and by getting one out of the picture, Larry might return to his less aggressive self.

I feel your pain, and sure hope you find an answer. My 4H dd faced this problem earlier in the year, after our open show in May (not 4H). We had an aggressive Brahma cockeral, and he came in 5th out of 5 in his class. She decided it wasn't worth the hassle to keep him for the fair, since he'd drawn blood and was only getting worse. After full disclosure about his mean temperment, we rehomed him with another 4H family. Wouldn't you know, they brought him to the fair last week and he took Best of Breed - little biting stinker!!

5. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    CiciChick - Sorry for the apparent bluntness of our replies so far, it's a common topic.

Welcome to BYC and be prepared for a torrent of opinion and advice on your rooster.

6. cicichick

Jul 21, 2010
    SW Ohio, Miami County
    Wow - you guys are awesome. No worries about blunt replies or lots of advice.

7. cicichick

Jul 21, 2010
    SW Ohio, Miami County
    Thanks for the links and suggestions. We went out this evening, with full body protection and gloves, and handled all roosters and hens. There was a little pecking, but we are going to keep at it and see if we can salvage our aggressive rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by