Help! Aggressive Silkie!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PoultryQueen29, Sep 29, 2011.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'm noticing that my blue silkie seems to be chasing around the others. It's head goes down very low and it runs after the others, sometimes it nips at them, too. Could it be that my white and splash silkies are hens and the blue is a rooster trying to mate?Or is it just being territorial? I know nothing about this so please help!

Here are pictures of them:

Blue silkie
    [​IMG]

White silkie
    [​IMG]

Splash silkie
    [​IMG]

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    They all have to have a pecking order. Once the others realize the blue is the head honcho, it will settle down.

3. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the reply! This is my first time owning chickens! I had quail before...they're not nearly as fun [​IMG]

The splash silkie is being chased the most. It is very small and light for it's age [​IMG] Is that because she/he is stressed from being chased or can they just come smaller sometimes? It looks pretty healthy...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  4. JPHorvath

JPHorvath Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are your Silkies?

Your Blue Silkie looks suspiciously Cockerel like.

We have a white silkie rooster that had us fooled for a very long time could not tell he was a cockerel for several months.

I have been wrong once before, but I can’t seem to remember when that was.

5. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I honestly can't tell if the blue is a cockerel or not. It doesn't have much crest, so it's lacking streamers, which is how I tell if they are cockerels at earlier ages. I would also like to know the ages, that might give us a better idea.

You may try to make some oatmeal with peanut butter, that will boost their protein intake and help them gain weight. Some are smaller than others. You can also give them game bird feed, but it's expensive, but it has a lot of protein in it.

6. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I really appreciate all the help! I'm going to need all of this advice [​IMG]

And they are all a little over 4 months old for those who wanted to know the age.

7. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    At 4 months of age, I am guessing the white is a pullet, the splash is a pullet and the blue could very well be a cockerel.

8. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    that blue silke is most probly a cockrel and is just being agressive u is there any crowing at all ??

9. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    No crowing yet but since they are over 4 months if one is a rooster I should hear crowing soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by