Help agressive hen!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JK Farms, Mar 26, 2017.

1. JK Farms

JK Farms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    Tennessee
    I have a buff Brahma hen that's a bullet to other chickens. I have one hen that's her buddy and that's all the adult chickens I have. The others are chicks. Well Vivian is super sweet to people and her buddy Nala but I can't get anymore especially roosters!! I've gone through 5 roosters and the last one was a game rooster that takes nothing from hens. My friend gave me him to set my girls straight well my friend has him back now and he won't breed any hens anymore thanks to my girls! I'm just not sure why they are so mean to roosters I'm afraid to get anymore hens cause of the rooster situation. I've never had this happen before so this is very new to me. They love people but what's weird is they both were raised in a large flock with roosters and hen and both were popular with the roosters they loved those boys but now no matter what I do they either kill them or scare them half to death. All the roosters I had were really healthy too.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    You have just not found the right rooster yet-----a young rooster gets afraid of the older girls. I have had that to happen several times----I put the right rooster in with those ladies and they jump on him----but he does not take it----he spanks that butt---LOL and they be eating out his hand the next day--lol.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    How old were your "roosters"? If they were really cockerels what you describe sounds really normal.

4. JK Farms

Mar 26, 2017
    Tennessee
    The boys are between 6months to 2 years of age. I don't think it's normal for the hens to kill a rooster well definitely not four the fifth we gave away. We put him in a cage inside their cage to put separation but the two girls got on the two open sides and anytime he would come to the side they would pluck a feather from him! He was the game rooster and was about 1

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'd be real tempted to get rid of the problem hens and start over. (Old layers make great stock!)

6. JK Farms

Mar 26, 2017
    Tennessee
    My girls are 2.5 years old and are just super sweet to people I'm thinking of just putting them in with my male goats. My only problem is I'm wanting to raise Brahmas but I can't find a lot in my area and when people do find them they're sold out! She was super hard to find! Nala is a sexlink and those are everywhere here so I'm ok with putting her in with my boys. Vivian is the meaner of the two so that's my problem!

7. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    I agree with PD Riverman - just gotta put the right boy in there with them. Any rooster worth his salt will calm them right down. The only cockerels at risk are the young, smaller cockerels. If that game bird got his tail whooped he must be a chicken.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If the males had all been under a year I’d say maybe it’s normal for them to fight and the hens to bully the boys, but they are not all that young. What’s not normal is for a hen to be able to kill a mature rooster. Fight maybe but kill? I know Brahma’s are big but that’s just not right. I agree with Bobbi, get rid of her. I know you want Brahma’s but you want a good Brahma, not a freak. Or decide to live without any roosters and see what happens when you try to integrate the chicks you have.

9. JK Farms

Mar 26, 2017
    Tennessee
    I think the youngest was 7-8 months the others were a year or two. And they were a lot bigger then my Brhama hen except two. I haven't gotten anymore roosters yet but I'm waiting to find more Brahma chicks before I get a rooster of the same breed. The game rooster was super mean th s why my friend let me take him he said he'll calm the girls down a lot but nope they almost killed him! I'm not sure why and how they got so mean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by