Help! All of my chickens have started loosing weight!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by frmgrl87, Feb 12, 2013.

1. frmgrl87

frmgrl87 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    I was out with my birds today to find my Barred Rock roo off by himself and leaning aginst the shed. This is not like him. I can never catch him under normal circumstances but today I was able to simply pick him up. He is shockingly thin and emacated. His feathers made him look much heavier and he had acted normal until today. I gave him layer pellets and made sure he had clean fresh water. He did eat some. I then caught every single one of my other hens and they are all much thinner then they should be. I can feel their breast bone and leg bones. They act normal other then slowed egg production. Running around and eating well. Some looser poop but normal brown/gray color. Nothing clear or green. I don't know why they have lost so much weight. They were very fat and heavy when I got them and now they seem to have lost at least half of their origonal body weight. I have only had them about a month. I plan on putting ACV in their water in the morning. Not sure what else to do. Any advice would be great.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Could be worms.

3. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Have they been wormed? Do they have any congestion, or weird sound when breathing, sneezing etc?

What and How much are you feeding?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  4. frmgrl87

Feb 12, 2013
    I have wormed them. I am feeding free choice layer pellets plus they get to run around the yard. I also give them table scraps. I haven't noticed any strange sounds from them. A while back I had a very young bird get foamy white stuff in her eyes.

5. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Next question - What did you worm them with? And did you do a followup dose at 7 days?

6. frmgrl87

Feb 12, 2013
    I used a generic Ivermec. I did do the follow up dose at 7 days. I lost my rooster this morning. something I just. thought about is I do have a goose in with them. would that make any difference? I am wanting to give them all a antibiotic and more wormer. any ideas on what to use?

7. frmgrl87

Feb 12, 2013
    I used a generic Ivermec. I did do the follow up dose at 7 days. I lost my rooster this morning. something I just. thought about is I do have a goose in with them. would that make any difference? I am wanting to give them all a antibiotic and more wormer. any ideas on what to use?

8. frmgrl87

Feb 12, 2013

9. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Was the rooster that passed in your avatar photo!?

10. frmgrl87

Feb 12, 2013
    No. He is a Barred Rock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by