HELP - almost 5 weeks old, what are we? UPDATED PICS, pg 2 & 3

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Robin'sBrood, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    These little ones came from TSC (hatched on St. Patrick's Day) and I still don't know 100% what they are. They're names are Teeny & Tiny due to their slow growth rate and sizes. Here they are when we first got them...

March 21 (with our Cornish Rock chicks)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Teeny, the smallest chick in the brooder
    [​IMG]
    Tiny (has a V on his/her head)
    [​IMG]

On March 25, Teeny with our NHR & EE chicks who are only 5 days older
    [​IMG]

On March 31, Tiny is still a little bit bigger than Teeny
    [​IMG]

On April 8
    [​IMG]

(PLEASE EXCUSE THE FILTHY BROODER IN THESE NEXT PICS!)

On April 18
    Tiny (in front), Teeny (on left) Ester the EE, & Lucy the NHR. Teeny & Tiny are 4 weeks 4 days old, Ester & Lucy are 5 weeks 3 days old.
    [​IMG]

Look how ITTY BITTY Tiny still is, Ester looks like a freak giant compared to Tiny!
    [​IMG]

4 and a half week old Tiny (left) in the brooder with my 10 day old chicks! [​IMG] at the smallness of that chick!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What ARE Teeny & Tiny? People have guessed Silver Lakenvelders, and I know they are smallish chickens, but do they grow that slowly? Are they bantams? [​IMG]

Oh, and Tiny acts perfectly healthy. Eats, drinks, poops... all normal. S/he does seem a little colder than the others, but s/he is feathering out so much slower I guess that is to be expected. I make sure there is a very warm place in the brooder just for Tiny. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  2. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    i would guess they are some sort of bantams since they are so dinky. they are deff adorable though!

3. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I don't know if they're standards (supposed to be) or bantams, they are such a mystery. [​IMG]

4. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    They sure are cute! I love how they are feathering. I think they must be bantams.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    the first pic, the only birds that have that pattern, are mottled or the lakenvelder. The only one I could find with the *V* was the Lakenvelder.......hens are only 4lbs so they very well may be....

6. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    they kind of look like my silver seabrights I just got but I'm no expert

7. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Quote:Lakenvelder was my first thought too. But I noticed a rose comb and seeing that they are so tiny I am going to say a hatchery style silver sebright.

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    the April 8th pic looked like the top one had a single comb [​IMG] which is why I said Lakenvelder......
    the sebright pics I have seen look more like my spitz did as chicks(color shading), so I have no idea [​IMG]

eta- since they are so small, I would say most likely sebright too....

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  9. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Lakenvelder was my first thought too. But I noticed a rose comb and seeing that they are so tiny I am going to say a hatchery style silver sebright.

Where do you see a rosecomb, in which pic? Teeny's comb looks like a single comb to me and Tiny's is hardly visible. But, I'm such a novice, it's pathetic. [​IMG]

Do you want me to try to get a better shot of their combs? [​IMG]

10. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Here are a couple of new pics of Teeny & Tiny. Teeny definitely has a little single comb but Tiny's is so, well, tiny, that it's still hard to see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Teeny's neck is starting to feather out black too. Lakenvelder?

Check out the pic of the Lakenvelder cockerel here. How much you wanna bet... [​IMG]

IF Teeny is a cock and Tiny is a pullet, could I keep them as a pair even if they may be related?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by