Help and ideas for my Ringneck Pheasants

What kind of cage or aviary are they in, and the dimensions?

You might want to post this in the pheasant forum for more specific replies, but my gut instinct would be do small fruit tree(s) if there's room. I read a great article about someone who raised them in an apple orchard once. Gives them a lot of good cover from above while keeping the floor area you might need to clean/catch birds nice and clear. Plus, fruit! Makes it a highly productive plot.

You might want to post this in the pheasant forum for more specific replies, but my gut instinct would be do small fruit tree(s) if there's room. I read a great article about someone who raised them in an apple orchard once. Gives them a lot of good cover from above while keeping the floor area you might need to clean/catch birds nice and clear. Plus, fruit! Makes it a highly productive plot.

It’s not huge right now. Not exsactly sure of the dimensions. It’s in my garage right now but will be going out side in the spring I was hoping to grow something in shallow pots like grasses or something similar. I’ll try to post a pic

It’s not huge right now. Not exsactly sure of the dimensions. It’s in my garage right now but will be going out side in the spring I was hoping to grow something in shallow pots like grasses or something similar. I’ll try to post a pic

Hey everyone. I am a new member to BYC and I have just recently gotten my very first pair of ringnecks. I would like to put some kind of plants in for them to use as cover but not sure what are toxic and what are not. Does any one have any ideas ?

Hi, welcome to BYC!

I'm going to move your post over to the Pheasants forum, someone there should be able to help you out.

Best of luck!

Hey everyone. I am a new member to BYC and I have just recently gotten my very first pair of ringnecks. I would like to put some kind of plants in for them to use as cover but not sure what are toxic and what are not. Does any one have any ideas ?
Howdy Austin and Welcome to BYC!
My pens are landscaped with purple fountain grass, pampas grass, native clover, 'Rose of Sharron' hibiscus, and native lantana. Not all of the these plants are in some of the pens. Some have just the grasses and clover, some have all.

Also, I have large smooth rocks, river rock, stumps, limbs and several perches for them to get away from aggressive males during breeding season. When put along perimeter of pen, it helps to break up 'line of sight' and helps in keeping the birds from pacing the perimeter.
Ring necked pheasants don't usually use perches, very seldom do I see mine on the perches. If you have Goldens or Amherst, they definitely use the perches.
Good Luck with your birds. HTH

Howdy Austin and Welcome to BYC!
My pens are landscaped with purple fountain grass, pampas grass, native clover, 'Rose of Sharron' hibiscus, and native lantana. Not all of the these plants are in some of the pens. Some have just the grasses and clover, some have all.

Also, I have large smooth rocks, river rock, stumps, limbs and several perches for them to get away from aggressive males during breeding season. When put along perimeter of pen, it helps to break up 'line of sight' and helps in keeping the birds from pacing the perimeter.
Ring necked pheasants don't usually use perches, very seldom do I see mine on the perches. If you have Goldens or Amherst, they definitely use the perches.
Good Luck with your birds. HTH

Thanx man that’s great advise and now I have a million ideas lol my pair are on the perches every night and sleep there all night long.

Thanx man that’s great advise and now I have a million ideas lol my pair are on the perches every night and sleep there all night long.
That's a good thing, especially if the perches are in a covered area. Keeps the predators from getting to them if they roost there instead of on the ground, like mine do. And it keeps them out of bad weather.

Back
Top Bottom