1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Angel or Angelo??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DS Jones, Dec 31, 2016.

1. DS Jones

DS Jones Just Hatched

Dec 25, 2016
    Could anyone tell me if Angel is male or female. We thought we had 4 female birds. After four months, the buff orpington grew a big red comb and crowed, After that we knew he was indeed male. He and the Easter Egger, pictured, attack our two younger birds (one female & one male). We thought the EE was female but now we are not sure since s/he attacks the young male more than she does the other female. I am worried we have three males.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a pretty pullet to me.

3. burdboy

burdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    Pullet my ee pullet likes to attack my other hens too

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I'd wait on this one.

Black and white is almost always a male pattern in the EE world. However, there are females that coloring. The pattern must be very even with no blotches....which yours appears fairly even.

The comb is not that big for 16 weeks, however, EE's can mature more slowly and there is definite pink in it.

I'm not calling this pullet yet. It may be a slowly developing roo.

I agree. Dominant pullets can be snotty to younger birds as well, so that behavior doesn't mean rooster necessarily.

LofMc

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Black and white patterning is not related to gender at all. The bird in question is female, without a doubt.

6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Actually Easter Eggers do follow typical color patterns for females and males....while there are of course exceptions.

Black and white tends to be a male coloring for EE. The color is splotchier, with different head and hackle colors on black and white roos, but most black and white patterns will typically be seen in males vs. females.

The wild type partridge is almost always female.

I've not taken the time to figure out why genetically this seems to hold true, but it does.

Again, of course there are exceptions, but I've seen those rules hold true most times.

LofMc

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/785749/sexing-easter-eggers

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/463817/easter-egger-sexing-tips-and-tricks-pictures-included

1 person likes this.
  7. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    Pullet!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sorry, on the fence with this one.

9. chickens really