1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Angry Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by J&J's Girls, Nov 26, 2011.

1. J&J's Girls

J&J's Girls Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2011
    NM
    In need of advise. We have 2 laying hens. A Rhode Island, who is 8 months, and a Barred Rock, 6 months. Yesterday as the Rhode Island was laying the Barred Rock proceeded to yank her out of her laying box by the comb. Tearing it a bit and causing it to bleed. The younger Barred Rock picked on the Rhode Island until I could take it no more and seperated them. I placed the Rhode Island back it the coop about 7:30 pm. They slept fine, but, this morning the picking resumed. It is pretty brutal and the Rhode Island just tries to get away as fast as possible. The Barred Rock "jumps" her any time they are close. What should we do? Should I just let the order be established? The injury has me worried. She got the Rhode Island's comb again this a.m.

2. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Let them get an order out, and maybe get another next box so they can both sit at the same time in diffrent boxs. But is the BR hen gets to nasty and more wounds start to show up keep them aprat for a week maybe? Then put them back in. I am guessing here.

3. J&J's Girls

Nov 26, 2011
    NM
    Thank you!
    I have two nesting boxes, they both like the same one. I will keep them seperate during the day until the RI comb heals. And I will keep placing one in the unused box until she gets that that one is hers! Lol:)

4. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    When you have an aggressive hen like that, DO NOT remove the ones she is beating up, remove HER. Put her in a small cage (chicken jail), and let her brood there for about 3 or 4 days. Of course, feed and water her. You can try the second nest, but it sounds more like you have a bully hen who is over-exerting her place in the pecking order. Hopefully, some time out will cool her off.
    Good luck.

5. Zigmont

Zigmont Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    I am in the process of trying to introduce two new EEs who are 13 weeks into my flock of four, 2 RRs, a Dominique roo and a Dominique hen, all who grew up together and are about 7 months. I can't stand it! One of the RRs and the roo chase them until they crash into the sides trying to get away and making them bleed. They are all fine at night too. We will make more nesting boxes, but this pecking order establishment is brutal. I have them separate and will keep trying too. I would not leave them together if she is making her bleed. That just seems wrong. What if you have two nesting boxes and two areas of food and water? I have that too when they are together. They all are ok when they are out free ranging too. Do yours get along then?

6. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Quote:x2 chicken jail, and possibly add a third chicken to the mix. Do you have just two chickens total?

7. J&J's Girls

Nov 26, 2011
    NM
    Thank you all for your responses. I will add another feeder, as there is only one. There is 2 of everything else. I will keep the broody hen in "chicken jail" for a few days. They do fine free ranging until the RI takes an intrest in something. Then the BR has to have it and will take it away. All of your guys advise is helpful! Thanks again:)

8. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Quote:Yours is a little different concern, introducing new birds to an older flock.
    In my experience, if you can keep your two groups separated, but have a fence or wire between them, they will get used to each other, so to speak. Then mixing them is easier. You will still see them pecking and carrying on, but not as much as if you just put them together right off the bat.
    AND you will laugh when you notice that your younger group will stay to themselves outside of the pecking order thing goes, at least in the beginning. You know the old "birds of a feather" saying? It is the same way with "birds raised together flock together".

Good luck. there are other threads on here about this you can look up. Try searching "Incorporating new birds into the flock".

9. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    J&J's Girls :

Thank you all for your responses. I will add another feeder, as there is only one. There is 2 of everything else. I will keep the broody hen in "chicken jail" for a few days. They do fine free ranging until the RI takes an intrest in something. Then the BR has to have it and will take it away. All of your guys advise is helpful! Thanks again:)

Chicken jail means no free range either, keep her there, alone with no one to beat up. She just sounds like a bully to me.​

10. J&J's Girls

Nov 26, 2011
    NM
    The aggressiveness continues and the RI is frantic whenever the BR is near. Do you think we will ever get this worked out or is it time to send the BR to a new home?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by