Help-Angry little chick!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lambchick, Mar 4, 2009.

1. lambchick

lambchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    Nebraska
    One of our new chicks-a dark brahma has been bullying all of the others-the other 21! She's managed to pick at a couple eyes and one even bled. I put her in a seperate box with her own feed, water and heat lamp. This is the first day we've had them and I really don't want to keep her alone, can anyone give me any advice?

I know that today, the day they arrived at the store, they are a little pooped out and tomorrow may be better, but just in case, thought I'd ask.

She needs a time out and my Cesar Millan wisdom that I use with my dogs and horses is NOT working with her.

BTW-There must be a character on a WII game called wilegi-but my 3 year old pronounces it "wild wedgie". So we've given the name of honor to this little gal!

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Are you using a red lamp?, keeps them a little calmer. Make sure they aren't too hot and have plenty of room. If she continues to be a problem you could make her a little "cell'' out of hardware cloth in the corner so she's not alone--hopefully she'll mellow out!

3. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i had one i hatch out a while back that was like that and i took a pair of finger clippers and took a little of the top beak off and that stopped it from being the bully, just alittle of it

4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I agree with chookchick. Wall her off a portion of the brooder with hardware cloth so she can see and be seen by the others but not go after them. Then, see how she behaves after a few days of isolation.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    pinless peepers

6. lambchick

lambchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    Nebraska
    Update-Well, I kept her out of the group overnight. I also doubled the size of the brooder, now with 2 lamps, took some of those irredecsent marbles and put them in glass jars and set them around the brooder, dropped a few into the bedding, and did the scratch boxes that someone posted up on here.

Wow-what a difference. Seems they are more independent today and after I watched what they were pecking at, it appears that they liked the shinyness of the eyes, so the marbles were a sure fit for that.

Thanks everyone-I really appreciate it.
    PS-Still going to get red lamps too.

7. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by