HELP!!! ANY GQF CABINET INCUBATOR EXPERTS??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bugladyleah, Feb 6, 2009.

1. bugladyleah

bugladyleah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    PA
    Hey all...quick question! I was lucky enough to pick up a large, glass front cabinet style bator at an auction. It is a GQF with two wafer thermostats (I think) and three trays. I do not believe it has an electronic thermostat. It also has a dial inside the incubator on the upper right that is labelled "relative humidity". You can turn the dial from around 30% humidity to 100% humidity. Is anyone familiar with this? I was going to order a new humidity pan and pads with the automatic waterer for the top, but I wasn't sure how this correlated with the dial inside. Any insight???

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I have not seen that. Mine is 5-6 years old now.

If you call GQF, they are usually very helpful or could send you a new manual on that model.

3. bugladyleah

Apr 7, 2008
    PA
    Yeah, I tried to call them. The woman I spoke to was obviously annoyed (she expressed to me that they have been inundated with calls asking questions about old incubators) and I really didn't want to deal with her. I was hoping someone here would be more helpful : )

4. kandyg_99

kandyg_99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Colorado
    What series is your incubator? I just picked up two and your setup sounds like mine...

5. bugladyleah

Apr 7, 2008
    PA
    Update...took a closer look at the bator and it actually has TWO electronic switches, but they don't appear to be preset (as there is a knob on the outside) and a back-up wafer "thermal cutoff". The humidity thing is wired to the same wiring as the temp. controls, but also is wired to an outlet on the outside of the cabinet where you could plus something in?? Weird, huh? Has anyone seen this before????

6. kandyg_99

kandyg_99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Colorado
    Pics????

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    first off I would like to say,,,, I have heard report after report about that woman at gqf.. everything from short to just plain rude.. I have never had to call there, but if she ever treated me like that, I would be after her job release..

now.. I would like to know more about that humidity thingy.. once you figure out how it works, could you let us know? I do not have anything like that on either of my sportsman models.. could it be retrofitted, do you think??

I have built a couple of automatic
    water trays that work just great.
    but I am always eager to upgrade.

8. bugladyleah

Apr 7, 2008
    PA
    Hey all....I don't want to turn this into a rant about customer service at GQF, but, yes, the woman I spoke to was rude. I felt as if I was really bothering her and I actually got no information and hung up quickly. I don't have the constitution for people like that. Anywho...I will definately take some pics and see what you guys think. The humidity thing is labelled "Johnson humidity". I don't know the model # of the bator. I searched high and low and couldn't find one anywhere. It does not look like a homeade job, though. I'll get some pics posted in a few (if I can figure out how to do it). Thanks...Leah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by