Help anyone with cats i need you help

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Ncsiwolf, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Ncsiwolf

Ncsiwolf Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    Simi Valley, Ca
    I have three cats two boy (4years old and 1 1/2 years old) and one girl ( 2 years old).
    the oldest boy is picking up the girl by the neck and caring her around the house. He is cuting up the girls neck realy bad.
    Has only one seen this. and know how to stop it.
    the two boy are neutered and the girl is not.
    please help

2. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Is there any way they can be kept apart?

3. Ncsiwolf

Aug 7, 2011
    Simi Valley, Ca
    we try but she need to eat and the bathroom

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Get her spayed (she will have a much higher risk of cancer if not), let her recuperate in a room without them for at least a week. You can have litter box and food in with her and another litter box and food wherever the 2 boys are.
    The spaying may well change the dynamic between her and the eldest boy.
    JJ

5. Ncsiwolf

Aug 7, 2011
    Simi Valley, Ca
    im looking in to speying her she has a unbilical cord hernia and the spey and neuter clinics will not do it.

6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Is he grabbing her scruff, dragging her, and trying to hump her? If so, even a neutered male sometimes continues this behavior if the female is not spayed. That said, I've seen even neutered males do this to other neutered males in a sexual way, so spaying alone may not stop this behavior. Like any behavior, even an instinctive one, you can train it out in many cases. Some people spray the mounting cat with water (it is more efficient in a case like this if they do not know you are the one spraying them. Teaching that that humping=wet will be more beneficial in this case than people+humping=wet when people are around) and then reward good behavior. Not just punishing, but also rewarding is very important. Then you are reinforcing the behavior you want to see, not just diminishing a behavior or just stopping it when you are around. How long have these cats been together?

If there is mounting and then chasing the female away, the behavior is probably more territorial/hierarchical in nature. In this case, respecting the male's position around the house will probably help matters. This is especially true if this is a newly introduced cat. If so, it usually helps introductions immensely to keep the cats separated except for supervised interaction time, and slowly making an introduction.

I have heard of male cats carrying around both young kittens and adult ferrets by the neck scruff, not in a predatory way, but as a mother would carry her kittens, but never a two year-old cat.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  7. Ncsiwolf

Aug 7, 2011
    Simi Valley, Ca
    ok im going to work on that

8. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Here's what I would do.. every time he picks her up, don't yell or chase him, just act normal, and shake an empty pop/soda can that has coins inside (or something that will make noise). Shake it EVERY time he does this, and eventually he won't do it because he will remember that the loud noise happens every time he picks her up!! [​IMG]

Or you could use a squirt bottle and squirt him every time he picks her up, but I like the shaker can myself it's less messy.

Good Luck!!

9. Ncsiwolf

Aug 7, 2011
    Simi Valley, Ca
    Quote:good one i'm going to do that!!!

10. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    So hows it going with your cat?? is the can working?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by