HELP!!! Anything I can do for gosling with pneumonia TONIGHT??!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by moenmitz, Jun 8, 2008.

1. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    One of my poor little goslings is sick-can't hold his head up even, not eating or drinking. I found him out in the rain in the mud late this afternoon. It was 80 degrees here, and everybody seemed to have a ball playing in the mud puddles and light showers, so I didn't lock them up. Everybody else seemed to know when to go inside their house and dry off, but this little fellow, for whatever reason, didn't. I brought him in right away, rubbed him dry and put him under a heat lamp. Seemed to perk up for a bit. Now he is coughing and gurgly soudnign though, really weak. I used a dropper to get a little water in him, but I don't know what else I can do tonight. If he makes it till morning, I can maybe get ahold of a vet- we are flooded terrible here and alot of the roads and businesses are closed. I know antibiotics are the answer, but since i have none, is there anything else that could help him hold on until morning? BTW, he is 4 weeks old tomorrow.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Do you have Poly-Vi-Sol?? Electrolytes?? They may help a little. AND maybe prop him upright with a couple rolled dry washcloths??

3. moenmitz

Apr 15, 2008
    I have Gatorade? Would that help?

4. moenmitz

Apr 15, 2008
    I also have V-eight juice...if that would do any good...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  5. moenmitz

Apr 15, 2008
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] He just died, poor little fella. Thanks anyway.

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Oh, I'm so sorry....I need to get some antibiotics to have on hand just for instances like this. It seems they always happen when you can't get a vet or to the feed store! :aww

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by