Help! Approx 10 week chick sick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newchickincoop, Dec 11, 2014.

1. newchickincoop

newchickincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2014
    Wildomar Ca.
    Today I found her fluffed up , stumbling and gasping. she stays in garage with 2 other chicks and a broody hen that thinks she is their mom. Others no symptoms . [​IMG]

2. newchickincoop

Oct 24, 2014
    Wildomar Ca.
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you seen any respiratory infections with your flock before? Did you hatch the chick? Gasping can be a sign of a respiratory disease. Is she sneezing or have any nasal drainage, or bloody mucus from her nose or mouth? Mold in the bedding can also cause gasping. Does she have any diarrhea, and is she eating and drinking okay? I would bring her into the warmth of the house since she sounds sick.

4. newchickincoop

Oct 24, 2014
    Wildomar Ca.
    A little more information.I purchased her about six weeks ago . I vaccinnated them from bronchitis and Il whatever that one is about a week ago she's doing like a mini molt for her age and my other chickens are molting we just got over successfully chickenpox the dry version and I have only seen like sinus infectionswhere I've had to clean out the eye and so forth on this is new she's not eating and drinking I noticed just right now so I will have to feed her myself I have Tyler , summit and other antibiotics I just don't know which to give her . I don't know if she's peeping or coughing because It sounds like a hick up or a steady paced out peep. her stools look fine I change their bedding which is newspaper because they're in a box in my garage I change it twice today so that it doesn't create any Oder I will have to watch now that I've noticed she sick if anything changes there in poops

5. newchickincoop

Oct 24, 2014
    Wildomar Ca.
    Thank you for the help!! Any ideas what I should treat with?

6. newchickincoop

Oct 24, 2014
    Wildomar Ca.
    And sadly I don't know what kind she is any ideas

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Whenever there has been a respiratory infection in a flock, most become carriers of that disease. Was the vaccine for infectious bronchitis and ILT a killed virus? Was your older hen vaccinated earlier? If so, she could have been a carrier of ILT to the younger chicks. Gasping is a symptom of ILT, and bloody mucus from the nose or beak is common. Here is a link to read just about ILT, and another that has the common poultry diseases including MG, bronchitis, ILT, coryza, and others. Since many of these diseases are viruses, the antibiotic, Tylan, may help to prevent secondary bacterial infections that can happen. I would make sure she is warm.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  8. newchickincoop

Oct 24, 2014
    Wildomar Ca.
    Ug.. This was the first time vaccinating whole flock and I did so thinking to avoid this :( I don't know if it was a live virus it was for ilt and infectious bronchitis. Ok I have her under lamp and its 80 degrees . No mucus or blood yet .. Gave tylan .. And vitamins dropper as not really doing anything on own. I had to mix two vials of blue liquid then I dropped in nostril instead eye to avoid reactions. So I did this to her :( by thinking I'm doing right thing . I don't think she is going to make it. Not really skinny but barely standing :(

9. newchickincoop

Oct 24, 2014
    Wildomar Ca.
    Poop :([​IMG]

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You may not have done anything wrong with vaccinating, especially if there had been a previous respiratory problem before (sinus infections, which may have been MG or something else.) Also with this age, coccidiosis can be a problem, especially when their are mixed ages. At her age she is building up immunity to cocci. Respiratory infections also can cause diarrhea. I hope you can save her with the fluids and medication.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by