Help, are Buttercups poisonous to Ducks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bilsie, Oct 4, 2013.

  1. bilsie

    bilsie Out Of The Brooder

    32
    0
    22
    Dec 30, 2012
    This is a repeat post - didn't know there was a separate section. A few minutes ago I found all - four ducklings (5 weeks old) outside the garden area. I believe that Topknot has eaten buttercups. She is having spasms at the bottom of her throat and keeps lifting her head and open her beak wide. If she was human I would think she was trying to throw up. Is there anything I can do? I know they are poisonous to lambs, cattle, etc. Thanks
     
  2. fogandcopper

    fogandcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

    146
    9
    71
    Apr 23, 2013
    It does sound like she has poisoned herself. The only thing I can think of is to feed her something to make her throw up. I am not sure what to use but your vet might. After that you just have to hope she pulls through.
     
  3. bilsie

    bilsie Out Of The Brooder

    32
    0
    22
    Dec 30, 2012
    Thanks fogandcopper I would still like to know the answer about buttercups but Topknot seems to be O.K.
     
  4. BantamLover21

    BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

    23,605
    1,314
    396
    Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry for posting so late--I hope Topknot is still all right! I found this list of poisonous plants and trees; you can get to it by going here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/627282/comprehensive-list-of-poisonous-plants-and-trees The thread is about chickens, but I assume that something that is poisonous to chickens is poisonous to other types of fowl, too. Unfortunately, buttercups on on the list.

    If Topknot hasn't recovered by now, then I would try to get the buttercups to pass more quickly through her system. Flush her with either a molasses or Epsom salt solution.

    Epsom salt flush:

    1 teaspoon Epsom salts in 1/2 cup of water, poured or squirted down the bird's throat twice daily for 2-3 days or until bird recovers.

    Molasses flush:

    1 pint molasses per 5 gallons of water given for no longer than 8 hours.

    Good luck!
     
  5. bilsie

    bilsie Out Of The Brooder

    32
    0
    22
    Dec 30, 2012
    Thanks Bantamlover she seems to be O.K. I appreciate your information. We have a lot of buttercups so I am going to keep your recipe - the Epsom salts sounds easier.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by