Help, are Buttercups poisonous to Ducks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bilsie, Oct 4, 2013.

1. bilsie

bilsie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    This is a repeat post - didn't know there was a separate section. A few minutes ago I found all - four ducklings (5 weeks old) outside the garden area. I believe that Topknot has eaten buttercups. She is having spasms at the bottom of her throat and keeps lifting her head and open her beak wide. If she was human I would think she was trying to throw up. Is there anything I can do? I know they are poisonous to lambs, cattle, etc. Thanks

2. fogandcopper

fogandcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    It does sound like she has poisoned herself. The only thing I can think of is to feed her something to make her throw up. I am not sure what to use but your vet might. After that you just have to hope she pulls through.

3. bilsie

Dec 30, 2012
    Thanks fogandcopper I would still like to know the answer about buttercups but Topknot seems to be O.K.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry for posting so late--I hope Topknot is still all right! I found this list of poisonous plants and trees; you can get to it by going here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/627282/comprehensive-list-of-poisonous-plants-and-trees The thread is about chickens, but I assume that something that is poisonous to chickens is poisonous to other types of fowl, too. Unfortunately, buttercups on on the list.

If Topknot hasn't recovered by now, then I would try to get the buttercups to pass more quickly through her system. Flush her with either a molasses or Epsom salt solution.

Epsom salt flush:

1 teaspoon Epsom salts in 1/2 cup of water, poured or squirted down the bird's throat twice daily for 2-3 days or until bird recovers.

Molasses flush:

1 pint molasses per 5 gallons of water given for no longer than 8 hours.

Good luck!

5. bilsie

Dec 30, 2012
    Thanks Bantamlover she seems to be O.K. I appreciate your information. We have a lot of buttercups so I am going to keep your recipe - the Epsom salts sounds easier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by