Help! Are mice a contamination risk in chick starter feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jejo624, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jejo624

jejo624 New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    We’ve had a large bag of chick starter in storage for a year because we’ve had failed hatches of shipped eggs until now. Now we have chicks. Now the bag has at least one a mouse in it. Question: Is there a risk of introducing parasites or illness to our chicks if we feed them chick starter contaminated with mouse waste? We don’t want to take the chance if there is a risk. Thanks to all in advance for your advice.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Start fresh.

Even without the rodent issues, feed loses nutrients and goes stale, draws moisture and can become moldy. A year is too long to try and save feed. Starter needs to just be fed out. Older chicks and juveniles can eat it. Trying to save feed is not a good proposition.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I agree, but will add if you have one mouse you have more.

I keep traps set to catch the occasional visitor. Mice are a big carrier of disease and nothing to mess about with.

4. jejo624

jejo624 New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    Agreed, and I'm aware of the nutritional decline. We had no birds then to "feed it out". But, we live in a dry part of New Mexico, and it's been in dry indoor storage. No mold or other issues. While not ideal, the rodent problem is the most pertinent question right now. What about the rodents in particular? Does anyone have an answer about that?

5. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
    I have heard of "Dried Rat Urine" on a soda can lid killing a human.... Mouse urine ????? for the cost of the feed, burn it.... I wouldn't even chance dumping it in the desert..... might kill the local birds....

6. jejo624

jejo624 New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    Thanks, rancher hicks.

7. ken-t

ken-t Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    Ever hear of Hantavirus? It can be spread from mickeys droppings. You want to keep them OUT
    sorry if I came across in a rude manner but I wanted to make my point. good luck

8. jejo624

jejo624 New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    Yes, you might be referring to hantavirus, a deadly flu-like disease spread in the urine of white-footed deer mice, Peromyscus maniculatus. It's relatively common to New Mexico. But, I'm new to the chicken thing, and I've never heard of rodents being vectors for chickens. Can they?

9. jejo624

jejo624 New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    Thanks for the interaction folks. Still no answer here as to whether or not rodents can spread diseases to chickens. Maybe I'll take this topic to the diseases forum. Thanks again!

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I don't know how much clearer the previous posters could have been. Mice are disease vectors. Chicken feed looses nutritional value, and even without contamination, and even if it were completely free of mold or bacterial contamination, it would still be nutritionally inferior, especially when starting new chicks. We know for certain that it is bacterially contaminated. I don't understand why you would spend money on baby chicks, or even invest the time in them if you're not willing to give them the nutrition they deserve. And, I apologize for being rude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by