help! are my barred rock girls really girls?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by livelymomof5, Mar 13, 2013.

1. livelymomof5

livelymomof5 New Egg

Feb 17, 2013
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

They are 4 1/2 weeks old here and have black wash on their legs, no pink in comb but seem very light to me? Please help these are my first chicks so I am learning.

2. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

could you get a closer pic of them

3. livelymomof5

livelymomof5 New Egg

Feb 17, 2013
    [​IMG]

4. livelymomof5

livelymomof5 New Egg

Feb 17, 2013
    [​IMG]

I haven't figured out how to add multiple pictures yet but maybe this helps :)

5. farmer boy

from what i can see of the combs now they look like pullets .. in the second photo what kind of bird is that she looks cute and tiny in the background .. their combs are not really red so thats good but if their combs and wattles start to get big and red then you know they are roos but from what i can see so far they look like pullets

6. livelymomof5

livelymomof5 New Egg

Feb 17, 2013
    Good, the little one is a black australorp. I actually have two in the flock, this one is the smallest of my birds and the other one is the largest ;) they were straight run so I'm playing the questing game with them.

7. farmer boy

i have some australorps i only have 3 hens and they are beautiful but they don't like me holding them lol .. they lay really good to .. that little one is so cute though

8. livelymomof5

livelymomof5 New Egg

Feb 17, 2013
    Thanks she doesn't like to be held either but the big one does. S/He will sit in my hand until I move it. When did you know your australorps were hens?

9. farmer boy

well i could tell because i had rooster with them and my roosters were very protective .. about a few months after they were fully feathered and got bigger but you can tell once their wattles/comb get redder then the other ones ... and their tail feathers will begin to get longer and some can get aggressive to but other then that i just waited

10. They look like hens to me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by