Help! Are my chickens ladies or gentlemen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by klgchickens, Apr 6, 2017.

1. klgchickens

klgchickens New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    I have to ask about my 5 babies. I am new to this so I don't want to assume anything. Ethyl, my EE, is my primary worry of being a male. I have noticed that Ethyl is a little more "aggressive". Ethyl likes to chase others around and flap her wings while doing so. They will be 5 weeks tomorrow. Pics 1-3 are Ethyl, the EE. Picture 4 is Lin, my buff orpington. 5 is Barb, my other buff orpington. Picture 6 & 7 is Cami, my brown leghorn (aka Roadrunner). And finally we have Lucy Socks, my dark brahma. Any and all help is welcome and GREATLY appreciated!

.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    They all look like cockerels to me except the last photo. It'll be easier to tell in a couple weeks.

3. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    Ethel is a male, and Lucy Socks is female. Cami is also is looking rooish. Your BOs are pullets at this point, but that can quickly change.

4. klgchickens

klgchickens New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    I could just cry now. [​IMG] Ethyl/Edgar is such a sweetie. Super friendly and always waiting for goodies. Cami/ Camden too. Always the first to fly right up on my shoulder. I hate to ask, but how do I go about re-homing them? I don't want to sound bad but I don't want roosters.
    I never anticipated this being a painful decision [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Well, it's early yet, so I'd wait a few more weeks.

I do think the EE is a cockerel.

the Leghorn is female. males are colored different, they have black breasts.

Neither of the Orps look male, but again it's early and that's a slow maturing breed.

The Brahma is female. Again, with that coloring, males are colored different and won't have that clear lacing on the chest, I believe.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 2 donrae

7. barred2rock

barred2rock Chillin' With My Peeps

You can always re-home them to the freezer, if you have the stomach for it. They are made of chicken :lol: after all!

8. klgchickens

klgchickens New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    Oh thank you!!! I kind of knew Ethyl was an Edgar for about a week. He has this habit of chasing everyone around with his chest out flapping his wings. His favorite one to chase is Barb (the darker BO). Could Edgar be chasing Barb the most because Barb is a Bob? I can take more pics if needed. My BOs are so curious and absolutely love being held. Cami, my leghorn is a shoulder girl and my husband would be crushed if she was a he. He comes home and she starts running around the pool till he opens the cage and she flies right up on his shoulder. Whenever he's around she sticks right by him. I knew Lucy was a girl in my heart, but phew, thank you for confirming it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by