Help. Are my chicks Barred Rock or Black sex link?

Missylynn90tx

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2022
I got my chicks from a friend and she said they where sex link. They are 5 weeks.
20220606_161937.jpg
They are suppose to all be from the same hatch date beside the larger one, which is suppose to be a rooster. I'm having a hard time telling the sex of my chicks, she said they where all female, the babies. Please help. I'm getting a headache trying to figure this out! Lol
20220606_162130.jpg

They are barred rocks, right? Those are not sex links but are an autosexing breed if bred for that quality. The way to tell the females from males when they are chicks is to look at the dot on the head. Both sexes have them but they are different in appearance. Also, when they start to feather out, the females will be darker in overall appearance than the males.

I'm thinking they are barred rock. After everything I've come across that's what im leaning towards. I'm wonduring if she accidentally told me wrong seeing as she's got quite a few breeds

They look like barred rocks and the darker ones are female if so. It could just be a confusion of term (and jargon is strong in the chicken world) and she meant they are autosexing (which barred rocks are, and means they can be sex identified at hatch) and not sex-links (which are a specific kind of cross-breed, also sex identifiable at hatch).

They look like barred rocks and the darker ones are female if so. It could just be a confusion of term (and jargon is strong in the chicken world) and she meant they are autosexing (which barred rocks are, and means they can be sex identified at hatch) and not sex-links (which are a specific kind of cross-breed, also sex identifiable at hatch).
That makes sense. Lol! Thank yall so much! My son will be happy to hear there is another male! We have 3 girls and 2 boys in our house and the girls wanted girls and the boys wanted boys! I'm pretty sure I probably got confused trying to pay attention to her and all the kids going crazy! Thanks again for helping this momma our. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom