HELP! are my chicks to small? *pictures*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chillmiller, Nov 18, 2010.

1. chillmiller

chillmiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Tonopah/AZ
    so my chicks from mcmurry got here on the 26th of october , and they looked great
    26 chickens st runs ... 13 black australops and 12 EE's oh and mystery chick

soooooooooooooo anywho fast forward to today my chicks are a tad over 3 weeks old

and at looking at everyone else chicks mine look all small and [​IMG] runty like i did something wrong [​IMG]

i admit for the first 3 days i fed them ground cracked corn with quick chick mixed in and half a tea spoon of quick chick per gallon of water but they look runty

i grabed my camera and a one of the EE's ( whom loved to stand still and model my ruler for me)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but from the top she's about 6 inches long from beak to tail feathers and almost 3 inches from shoulder to shoulder

[​IMG]

this lat picture is ore to show feathering and a black australop

so are they to small ?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  2. chillmiller

Nov 7, 2010
    Tonopah/AZ
    [​IMG] looking at other post in here man i think i doomed my little chickys [​IMG]

there al healthy and runnin around but runty do you think the 3 days of ground corn did this [​IMG]

3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    No mine are almost 3 weeks and they are about the same size. Yours look fine to me.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I dont think you doomed them they look normal I just wouldn't feed cracked corn as their main meal-those are treats:)

5. chillmiller

Nov 7, 2010
    Tonopah/AZ
    Quote:oh my ok ya i know i had layer pellets and cracked corn on hand when they came later that day i got crumbles but i use an old bird feeder so they where still eating the milled corn for the first 3 days

i feel so much better because im looking at other post on here and there 2-4 week olds look like monsters... mine look like quail [​IMG]

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:oh my ok ya i know i had layer pellets and cracked corn on hand when they came later that day i got crumbles but i use an old bird feeder so they where still eating the milled corn for the first 3 days

i feel so much better because im looking at other post on here and there 2-4 week olds look like monsters... mine look like quail [​IMG]

you look good [​IMG] just keep them away from corn as they are too young for that without grit and such-crumbles is good:)

7. chillmiller

Nov 7, 2010
    Tonopah/AZ
    phew i can sleep easy tonight now

8. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    If they are small, and they don't look too bad to me, they will catch up pretty fast on the right food.
    I seem to have a runt in every hatch (even though they are all fed the same, often this is a cockerel) and these little fellows catch up and outstrip the others by about 8 weeks.
    So sleep easy.

9. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Mine were hatched on the 1st of November (or day before) and mine look about that size(ish). I have smaller ones with smaller wings, smaller ones with bigger wings, bigger ones with smaller wings and bigger ones with bigger wings, LOLz, no joke. There are 24 chicks in all; and all but maybe one are of the same breed. Go figure.

10. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    they look ok to me just feed crumbles as with no grit they cant digest other stuff very well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by