HELP: Are these Ameraucanas?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by my sunwolf, Feb 26, 2013.

1. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I know this is an old refrain...

I really thought I was buying Ameraucanas from a local person, but the more I look at these chicks the more I'm unsure!! Here's a photo of them:

[​IMG]

I'm just not sure why some of the splash ones are feathering out so dark. Their feet are pink on the bottoms. Some have pink toes instead of slate, looks almost like frostbite, but I have no idea.

I'll try to get some closeups over the next few days.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    blues to blues make blue from very dark (almost black) to very light, black, and splash (which can be light or dark just like blue)

can you ask the person what color their pens are? if they cant tell you a color or if they all run together (ie white with black and brown and blue) than they are ees

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  3. ETHAN210

ETHAN210 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2012
    NC
    I raised ameraucanas, too and that looks a lot like them[​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This this this. The real ameraucana folks are color snobs (sorry, not meaning in a bad way but ya'all know it's true) and can tell you forever what colors they have. If they can't, they're usually easter eggers.

Were you able to look at the parent stock? That would be important when buying a specific breed locally.

5. my sunwolf

Thank you ramirezframing, ETHAN, and donrae! Very helpful.

Unfortunately, I never did get out to see the pens because of the rain, not to mention the price was so low I almost didn't want to know if they were EE's. Thought I'd be able to tell pretty easily. I guess, if they're not purebred Ameraucanas, they're at least some really pretty EE's. She said they were all bred from Blue Ameraucanas, hence the large number of splash birds. I don't think she had any blacks in the pens, but they may have been bred from Blue and Splash. They don't have any other colors of Ameraucanas.

Will I be able to tell if they're pure when I breed them? Would love to put black in the lines to get deeper blues.

6. ETHAN210

ETHAN210 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2012
    NC
    Cool, I hope your EEs become good layers[​IMG]

7. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure not all Ameraucanas have slate legs as chicks. I have some BW in my brooder right now, pure, and they're not slate yet. I was under the impression that they turn slate as they grow up...

8. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    yes just like other breeds the top of the foot might have some pink on it like she said one does

9. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Black x Blue = 50% black, 50% blue
    Blue x Blue = 50% blue, 25% splash, 25% black
    Blue x Spalsh = 50% blue, 50% splash
    Splash x Splash = 100% splash
    Splash x Black = 100% blue

10. my sunwolf

Thank you, I know about blues. I'm just a little doubtful of their purebred status because I've never actually seen BBS Ameraucana chicks before! The varying shades of blue and splash surprised me. Ameraucanas confuse the heck out of me because of of the way two pure birds can produce an Easter Egger. I still don't understand a lot of the classifications, I just hope that the stock looks nice enough at maturity that I'll feel comfortable breeding them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by