Help, are these pullets or roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RyanM91, Feb 10, 2017.

1. RyanM91

RyanM91 New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    I purchased these a few days ago. 4 barred rock and 1 buff Orpington. I was told they were pullets/hens, any opinions?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    To young to tell, But if I had to guess I would say 3 roosters and 2 pullets----My guess!! BUT if the Barred rock are not barred rock, but instead black sex-link. I would guess all 5 are roosters/cockerels.

3. RyanM91

RyanM91 New Egg

Feb 10, 2017

Oh man, I sure hope they aren't roosters. I guess I may have gotten banboozled, but I'll be bumbed if they are roosters. How much longer before I can tell? They said they got them sexed from a hatchery (I guess they could've lied).

4. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

They may have had them sexed, and km
    New they are males.....

I don't know

Good luck

Gary

5. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Where did you get them from? If a hatchery( or a feed store that got from a hatchery) most guarantee their sexing to be 90, sometimes 95 per cent right, There was one hatchery that said 80%, The feed sores around here thankfully won't let the public handle peeps but if they do, they could have been moved to the wrong bin. But they're too young to tell for sure.

6. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Usually 2 to 3 months you can for sure see the roosters compared to the pullets. Just for Info black sex-link roosters look just like your barred rock, But from what I see if they are barred rock """I""" feel 2 are pullets and 2 are cockerel/roosters. The lighter color I guessed rooster from just the way it stands?? ALL Guessing!!!! Its becoming common for home breeders to breed black sex-links and passing the males for barred rock. Might all be pullets---we do not know their true back ground----time will tell.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    too young also would be better at 8 weeks or so, and individual pictures , rather than huddled around each other.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They're too young to sex. I would post new photos of them when they're at least 6-8 weeks old.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If they're indeed pure barred Rocks, they all look like pullets at this point.

there is always the risk of a dishonest seller, selling black sex link cockerels as pure Rock pullets. If that's the case, you'll know around 4-6 weeks when they sprout huge ol combs.

The Orpington, you'll just have to wait for the 8ish weeks, for comb and amount of redness. Orps can be slow to mature, so they can leave you guessing for a while.

10. RyanM91

RyanM91 New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    They're around 10 days older now. Is it anymore clearer or still too early (5 weeks).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by