Help! Are we he's or she's???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stretch, Aug 4, 2007.

1. stretch

stretch New Egg

May 12, 2007
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hi! Out of the five chicks we got out of my daughter's kindergarten class one has started to crow, so we know she's a he! We live in a residential neighborhood and can't keep "he's". I've found a great home for Mimi, and was wondering if ya'll can tell from the pictures if any others are roos? This is my first time with chickens and loving every minute of it! This has been an incredible experience, since we incubated them all, and my girls have been so active with the chickens! ps: my girls named them [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Happy Feet, our Partridge cochin, and it will be 9 weeks old tomorrow.

[​IMG]

This is Lucky our Ameraucana, 9 weeks.

[​IMG]

Here's Lucy our Golden Campine, 9 weeks.

[​IMG]

This is Lulu our Buff Orpington (supposed to be, but she has yellow legs), 9 weeks. She is shorter than Mimi our roo, so I'm hoping she's a girl!

[​IMG]

And this is our little Buff Orpington roo, Mimi who is leaving us tomorrow for greener and more open space! The picture was taken at 8 weeks.

So any guesses on gender would be great! I'm only going to be able to keep 2, at most 3. Thanks so much for your help!
    Lori

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Lulu looks like a roo to me too.

Kind of iffy on Happy Feet, I don't know much about cochins.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Oh Boy. I hope I am wrong... but everybody... at just 9 weeks?... looks like a boy except lucy. She's the only one without the pink/red comb thing going... females usually show red in their combs at about 4 months old. I hope I'm wrong here.

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Was thinking the same thing, Mimi, Lulu and Happy Feet are boys for sure!

5. gingernutranger

gingernutranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2007
    Males have pointed feathers around the neck and tail, called hackle feathers.
    Females feathers are round everywhere.

All the buff orpingtons are males. Where are they from?(Hatchery)

Thanks

6. gingernutranger

gingernutranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2007
    They campine females have pointed feathers where the males hackle feathers are. The campine is a feamale i think.

Thanks

7. chicken ken

chicken ken New Egg

Jul 27, 2007
    salt lake city, ut
    silkiechicken is right i have a hen and she is about 3-4 months old and she is barley getting her comb and its bright red. :|

8. chicken ken

chicken ken New Egg

Jul 27, 2007
    salt lake city, ut
    silkiechicken is right i have a hen and she is about 3-4 months old and she is barley getting her comb and its bright red. :|

9. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Happy Feet and the Lulu are roos. Not sure about the others.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The only possible GIRL, IMO, is the Campine and I'm not familiar with that breed enough to say definitively. Sorry. And Lulu is probably a Buff Rock, not Buff Orp, because of the yellow legs.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by