Help! Are we he's or she's???

stretch

Hatching
12 Years
May 12, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
Hi! Out of the five chicks we got out of my daughter's kindergarten class one has started to crow, so we know she's a he! We live in a residential neighborhood and can't keep "he's". I've found a great home for Mimi, and was wondering if ya'll can tell from the pictures if any others are roos? This is my first time with chickens and loving every minute of it! This has been an incredible experience, since we incubated them all, and my girls have been so active with the chickens! ps: my girls named them
big_smile.png

62xyw40.jpg

This is Happy Feet, our Partridge cochin, and it will be 9 weeks old tomorrow.

4lfeibp.jpg

This is Lucky our Ameraucana, 9 weeks.

54kksol.jpg

Here's Lucy our Golden Campine, 9 weeks.

6au5csl.jpg

This is Lulu our Buff Orpington (supposed to be, but she has yellow legs), 9 weeks. She is shorter than Mimi our roo, so I'm hoping she's a girl!

4zntno6.jpg

And this is our little Buff Orpington roo, Mimi who is leaving us tomorrow for greener and more open space! The picture was taken at 8 weeks.

So any guesses on gender would be great! I'm only going to be able to keep 2, at most 3. Thanks so much for your help!
Lori

Oh Boy. I hope I am wrong... but everybody... at just 9 weeks?... looks like a boy except lucy. She's the only one without the pink/red comb thing going... females usually show red in their combs at about 4 months old. I hope I'm wrong here.

Males have pointed feathers around the neck and tail, called hackle feathers.
Females feathers are round everywhere.

All the buff orpingtons are males. Where are they from?(Hatchery)

Thanks

They campine females have pointed feathers where the males hackle feathers are. The campine is a feamale i think.

Thanks

The only possible GIRL, IMO, is the Campine and I'm not familiar with that breed enough to say definitively. Sorry. And Lulu is probably a Buff Rock, not Buff Orp, because of the yellow legs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom