HELP- ASAP- chick not doing well, what do I do? I am a Newbie!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LilbitChicken, May 15, 2009.

1. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Well, I have been reading for 2 days....I have 8 chicks, (a few days old)and 1 isn't doing well. The first night he was the loudest, and got pushed around A LOT. The next day, he was covered in Poop! [​IMG] They all slept on him?[​IMG] The temp in the brooder was perfect....they all did their own thing....ate and drank normal.....he was last to eat......
    the next day......he was soaking wet? Was pushed in the water?
    I dried him and warmed him......no problem......last night the other chicks would just run into him, didn't notice him???[​IMG]
    Um.....TODAY, he doesn't walk very well, just stumbles around....everyone else is perfectly happy. Some sleep others eat, others play.....all different times.....BUT this little guy right here. (AND I MEAN RIGHT HERE- I have him in a warm dry wash cloth, and stuffed it in my shirt....so I can watch him and listen to him)
    He doesn't make much sound.[​IMG] He opens his beak, and it sounds like a soft click.......after I rub his little head, he looks up and gives a few soft chirps......but then nuzzles back and closes his eyes....

I am going CRAZY!!!! i don't know what to do!!!!! Help me?[​IMG]

2. LilbitChicken

May 5, 2009
    Hello? Anybody? I am a little frantic.[​IMG]

The chick is sleeping....making the little "clicking" sounds as he sleeps.. I keep checking on him, he still responds to my pestering. When I can't stand waiting anylonger!!!![​IMG]

But I just let him sleep....nice and cozy.[​IMG]

3. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    sounds like you saved him/her from being trampled

i would keep it seperated from the others if you want to keep it alive --- maybe look to see if you have another one that is fairly docile to pair it with

4. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    One thing is you need to see if you can get him to eat and drink, eye droppers are great for just that. I hate to say, but he may be gone come morning, due to being laid on and trampled.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Good luck.

5. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

It could be the other chicks have not let her get at the food and water.

Have you tried to dunk her beak and get her to drink? You might have to dribble water into her beak with a dropper. Maybe mix with a little sugar to get it some energy. With the food, mix with water and dribble into her beak. Maybe mix food & water with a little plain yogurt.

You may need to keep her separated but warm until she hopefully will build up strenght. Has she been pooping at all?

Good luck! [​IMG]

Val

6. GWHen

GWHen New Egg

Apr 15, 2009
    I'm having a similar problem with one of my chicks. Mine are 2 and a half weeks old. This morning I went out and one is acting very lathargic... I logged on to see if I could find out what to do, if anything. I'll keep reading and hope I find something or someone responds.

7. LilbitChicken

May 5, 2009
    Quote:HELLO!!!! [​IMG] Thank you for helping.....YES she has pooped....today also, I even changed the washcloth she is wrapped in...
    I DID give her the sugar water, I tipped her beak in, she would look up and swallow it down......I need to try the yogurt...............[​IMG]

8. LilbitChicken

May 5, 2009
    Quote:okay.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. LilbitChicken

May 5, 2009
    Quote:Okay...yes there is ONE that does pair with this one. I will separate.
    THANK YOU, I am going to try my hardest, to save the little one.[​IMG]

10. GWHen

GWHen New Egg

Apr 15, 2009
    I'm going to go try the eye dropper...Lilbit, good luck to you and thanx to all who responded with suggestions. This is a great wewbsite! I'll logon later to let you know my results.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by