HELP ASAP! Ducks Hatching Question!! HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AnconaDuck, Apr 15, 2009.

1. AnconaDuck

AnconaDuck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    MI
    OK, so we are hatching our first set of duck eggs in our Incubator. We have never hatched eggs in an incubator, we have always relied on our ducks/hens to do it for us. Our humidity is good and the water tray is stll full enough. My question is this-

The 2 ducklings due to hatch started pipping yesterday. OK, so we didn't open the lid of the incubator and we checked the humidity level. Things are going fine. This morning, the one duckling had pipped more around the egg, while the other duckling has pipped a giant hole, and has it's bill, wing, and one of its feet out the hole. I know that we aren't suppossed to open the lid because of the humidity, but the bird appears to be in a such a position that it cannot move its head to continur pipping. The other bird has not made its presence known yet, but it continues to slowly and steadily pip around the egg. So, should we risk the humidity and help this other bird, or let what happens happen. Dont take this the wrong way, but these birds are out of a special duck that we lost the day after we put these eggs in the incubator. If they were "ordinary" ducks I don't think I would be panicking this much!! I Know this whole process can take up to 48 hrs, but I still worried...AHHH!

Thanks for your help [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. AnconaDuck

Apr 15, 2009
    MI
    Maybe I am just paranoyed [​IMG] Ill let the bird be....we'll see what happens. Patience I guess [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  3. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
  4. rbseggs

rbseggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    do not open it until the other one is out and fluffed up. If there is no progress in the "stuck one" by then you can help carefully. Just tap and crack a little bit at a time. Do not pull the duck out of the egg make him push out himself. good luck

5. AnconaDuck

Apr 15, 2009
    MI
    Thanks [​IMG]

The bird has been "stuck" like this for 8 hours now....maybe that isn't a long time in terms of hatching. Total since the pipping, 32 hours or so.

I can see its wing, leg, and bill now through the hole. lol looks uncomfortable. The hole is the size of a dime, more towards the larger end of the egg. The other duckling is pipping a "zip" pattern around the egg near the large end (good duck!).

Anyway, thanks again. I will restrain myself from doing anything untill tomorrow morning (48 hrs). [​IMG]

Hopefully we will have lill ducks! [​IMG]

6. Shanay235

Shanay235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    WV
    JMO here but after 8 hours like this, I'd probably help a little. Not much, just enough to where his head is free and let him finish the rest on his own.
    GOOD LUCK..............[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    After 8 hours I would feel the need to help...but I have only hatched 2 ducks. Don't take my word for it.

8. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    when i open my bator to turn the eggs, i put a heavy beach towel over the top. i can then keep the bator mostly seeled and i don't lose too much humidity. if you need to help him, i'd use the beach towel over the top. good luck! i hope your babies hatch okay!! keep us updated.

9. AnconaDuck

Apr 15, 2009
    MI
    He has now pulled his leg in through the hole, and now I can just see his adorable little webbed foot. Hmm....He his breathing OK and still peeping, So I am going to give him a little time and hopefully he can work it out [​IMG]

10. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    My first hatch just completed. I had the same problem with 2 of my ducks. I opened the bator (although its a no no) and helped both. One was in the middle of the hatch and the other was the last of the hatch. I just broke away a eraser size hole and thats all it took for them to bust out. I didnt want to help but one was stuck this way for at least 10 hours, and the other several hours too. Once I saw 3 other eggs go from pip to out in less than hours, and that one with no progress I helped. When I had to open the LG I just misted the inside real good as I shut it. No one stuck, and my humidity never dropped. 8 out of 9 lived and made it! The one pipped and died the next day (died already before I opened the bator).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by