HELP ASAP EMERGENCY EGG BROKE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by capemuscovies, Feb 23, 2017.

1. capemuscovies

capemuscovies Just Hatched

Feb 16, 2017
    Cape Coral, FL
    [​IMG]Please help me, I opened my duck egg from the air pocket thinking it was dead. I had previously candled it and there was no movement and it had gotten very cold overnight. We opened it from the air pocket, and The supposedly twin Muskovy ducks inside moved their feet. I need help ASAP because I really don't know what to do in the situation. Please excuse my terrible grammar as I am using voice to text and freaking out a little bit. I can see the baby I will attach a picture in one moment.

Will the baby/babies possibly survive this tragedy? What do they not have a chance?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    How close are they to hatch?
    Cover the hole with something damp while you figure it out so it doesn't dry out.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do you have a similar sized fresh egg? If so, you could maybe try making a cap for this egg out of the fresh egg. How many days along is this one? If you don't have a fresh egg, you might be able to use some sort of tape?

@RavynFallen , @WVduckchick , @ronott1 ?

4. capemuscovies

capemuscovies Just Hatched

Feb 16, 2017
    Cape Coral, FL

They are maybe one week week to two weeks old. It's a Muscovy egg if that helps. Not 100% sure though. We covered the open spot with a damp towel but are terrified to move it back into the incubator.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

6. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    If you are only 14 days into the incubation period it's a lost cause. You would still have another 3 weeks to go. If it is a double embryo, that's another strike.

7. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    What type of bator do you have?

8. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Best bet is to get a pieces of shell from a fresh egg, same shape as that area and a bit bigger to cover the hole with... put it back in the bator and keep fingers crossed...

Damp towels on eggs cause chilling of the egg...

1 person likes this.
  9. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Go Habs Go Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    X2, sorry. You can try Kathy/Ravyn's idea.

Good luck!!

10. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    I'm sorry that happened. Been there, done that. If it was just a few days before hatch I would say you have nothing to lose. But at this point you could lose all your eggs if you put it back in because of the near-certainty of bacterial infection. From the photo, it looks like the air cell is very large for the number of days of incubation, so if the loss of this egg helps save more, then it's not all lost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by