Help asap, first egg possible emergency

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kara_leigh, Aug 16, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    We just noticed that my Ameraucana pullet has laid her first egg, but it is stuck to her vent, and it is covered in poo and has a covering around it that is slimy and bloody. I can't get it out/off, and she flinches when I touch it. What is going on, and what can (if anything) I do to help her? She is 21 weeks old.

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
  3. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Thank you RhodeIslandRedFan, I really appreciate the link. It was helpful.

The egg came out (and fell on our laundry room floor as I was preparing to put her in warm water LOL), but she still has a prolapsed vent. Will it go back in on its own? Does this mean that she will keep having a prolapsed vent every time she lays an egg? This one was really small since it was her first one, I'm afraid of what will happen once she starts laying normal size eggs. They were such a pretty light green, though. [​IMG] It sucks that it broke, I never got a pic of my first egg.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  4. Silverose

Silverose Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2011
    Middle Tenn
    keep her isolated so the other chickens don't peck it and pull her insides out more. I've also read hemmorrhoidal cream is supposed to help, but read the active ingredients, one should be Phenylephrine which is a vascoconstrictor (helps shrink blood vessels)

5. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    We have her isolated for the night (and longer depending on how long it takes her to recover). We don't have any hemorrhoid cream on us and the store is almost an hour away. [​IMG] I will definitely pick some up tomorrow.

6. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Update - We still have her isolated. She is doing much better. Her vent is still slightly prolapsed, but it has a big scab on it. She didn't lay another egg for 3 days, but she layed one yesterday and again today and she seems fine. It didn't make it worse, at least. The egg yesterday had quite a bit of blood on it, but the one today was clean. She is also having normal poops, so today I brought her in and washed her bottom off and got all the nasty poop off of her feathers, then used a blow dryer to dry her off. Then she stayed in our laundry room for about an hour. She seems to be completely normal other than a sore bottom. [​IMG]

7. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Glad to hear she is on the mend!

8. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Yeah [​IMG] good job Mama If you put her out make sure there is Blu-Kote on it... It will keep the others from picking @ her.

9. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Another update -

She is completely back to normal!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

We had decided to put her back with the rest of the chickens b/c her butt is so fluffy, so they couldn't see her sore vent anyway. I wasn't worried about other chickens pecking at it. She would never allow them to get that close to her anyway. I let her out of the tractor about an hour before bed, and then let her go into the coop. Everything was fine.

Two days later when I checked her bottom, her feathers were all clean again (b/c I think she was allowed to dust bathe) and her vent was 100% back to normal!!!! She has been laying eggs every day, and now they come out perfectly clean, no more blood. I'm so happy she recovered, and so quickly.

[​IMG]

10. SwampHollowFarm

SwampHollowFarm New Egg

Mar 28, 2011
    I have also read that honey as a salve will also help.
    Paul

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by