Help ASAP I dont know what to do

Teresa the chicken lady

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2020
So long story short I got 4 chicks from the tractor store and well 3 are roos. The first 2 were crowing and becoming aggressive at 3 months so I found them new homes. I had 2 left they are buff brahmas. I love them both so very much they are 19 weeks today actually. Last week the roo started to crow which I am fine with. But today he tried to mount my 1 and only hen 5 times. Tonight when he did it he crabbed her neck so hard I thought he was going to kill her. I know that its a roosters behavior and I love him but I dot think I can keep him can I? Again I only have 1 hen.....I do have 6 more growing. 3 are 5 weeks old and have been spending time outside during the day with them. The other 3 are only 5 days old so I have a while there. What should I do? I have a good home he can go to but can my 1 female survive by herself until the others are big enough? I figure the week olds can go outside at night in a week when they are 6 weeks old. I live in California so the weather is nice in the day and in the 50's at night. Please help what should I do???? If I keep him will he kill her mounting her so much? She has not laid an egg yet? If I get rid of him will my hen die of being alone? I have an extra brooder I could bring her in at night and she can sleep in the house with me so she's not lonely.....Please advise.

Attachments

• 0CDDA4A1-00DA-40E2-BC50-C499D892E37D.jpeg
    0CDDA4A1-00DA-40E2-BC50-C499D892E37D.jpeg
    599.3 KB · Views: 19
keep him it won't be so bad once she starts laying even then he probably grabbed her hard cause she wouldn't give it up. he won’t kill her though they look to be close in size so she will be ok

Separate them for three - four days if that doesn’t work put him in another pen in the day time she’ll be alright at night and until you get up until he starts pulling feathers there is really no need to worry. Good luck 👍

can the rooster and hen that are 19 weeks old sleep in the same coop at night? I only have the one
She'll probably be fine. This is normal behavior. If you're worried you could get her a mating saddle so he doesn't wear out her back feathers. If you only have one roo with 6 more on the way she should be fine in the long run too, and chickens are social animals which need to have other chickens. She has grown up with him, it would be a period of adjustment without him there. She would get over it eventually but with no-one else in the mean-time she'd probably be lonely.

can the rooster and hen that are 19 weeks old sleep in the same coop at night? I only have the one

They can but separating them with a pen or carrier inside the coop is probably a good idea. I have a small 4x8 coop and simply cut a second chicken door in it and penned off that area so it can hold a rooster, or hen with chicks, or any other bird/s that need a separate space.

So long story short I got 4 chicks from the tractor store and well 3 are roos. The first 2 were crowing and becoming aggressive at 3 months so I found them new homes. I had 2 left they are buff brahmas. I love them both so very much they are 19 weeks today actually. Last week the roo started to crow which I am fine with. But today he tried to mount my 1 and only hen 5 times. Tonight when he did it he crabbed her neck so hard I thought he was going to kill her. I know that its a roosters behavior and I love him but I dot think I can keep him can I? Again I only have 1 hen.....I do have 6 more growing. 3 are 5 weeks old and have been spending time outside during the day with them. The other 3 are only 5 days old so I have a while there. What should I do? I have a good home he can go to but can my 1 female survive by herself until the others are big enough? I figure the week olds can go outside at night in a week when they are 6 weeks old. I live in California so the weather is nice in the day and in the 50's at night. Please help what should I do???? If I keep him will he kill her mounting her so much? She has not laid an egg yet? If I get rid of him will my hen die of being alone? I have an extra brooder I could bring her in at night and she can sleep in the house with me so she's not lonely.....Please advise.
Way too little amount of hens , hens like too have other hens and if your breeding rooster you should at least have five hens too each rooster ..

Back
Top Bottom