Help!!! Asap!!!! My Chickens Are Not Laying!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by love_stuz, Nov 13, 2011.

1. love_stuz

love_stuz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Hi i am a proud new chicken owner, and only recently got my 3 hens 5 days ago.
    I hardly get 1 egg a day! (and i dont mean 1 from each hen). They are apparently at point of lay and i was wondering why they arnt laying?
    I have done my research and found that stressed hens dont lay. And my dog has a couple of times ran outside and scared them nearly to death? so i thought that might be it.
    BUT! i still want to know why they arnt laying???

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks. Summer

2. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    it could be from
    A) still needs to adjust to their new home
    B) they might be Molting or about to molt
    C) Older then what you thought
    D) younger then what you thought..

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  4. love_stuz

Nov 13, 2011
    Thanks.
    I have also tried the golf ball technique, and that still hasnt seemed to work.
    Also 1 of my hens spends almost her whole day in the nesting box and i always think that she will lay, but never seems to happen?

5. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:What breeds are they? She might be wanting to go broody which would also stop egg production!

6. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Maybe they want curtains?

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

If they are laying hens and you just got them, they are probably going to take a week or so to adjust to their new home. And yes, the dog scaring them this early on may very well be adding stress to their adjustment.

(Kinda think it's funny the subject line says:"Asap!!!!" Hens lay when they are able to lay. You can't jump start them. Honest.)
    [​IMG]

8. love_stuz

Nov 13, 2011
    Oh okay [​IMG] um im not sure the man that gave them to me didnt tell me ? and ive looked to see what type they are but there is just so many.
    So your saying just wait a couple more days and they should start laying, and maybe take the golf ball out?

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I would put more than one golf ball in the nests, actually. This shows them WHERE to lay once they settle down.

Patience, grasshopper. [​IMG]

10. love_stuz

Nov 13, 2011
    i have put 2 in, but one always ends up out of the nesting boxes, cause i think when the are making there nest they kick it out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by