HELP!! ASAP!! My duckling is vomiting!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ktduck, Jan 3, 2014.

1. ktduck

ktduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi, really worries about my duckling he has vomited 3 times in the last 5 minutes, he is only vomiting up food like peas and kale I am so worried about the poor baby. I think maybe I fed him too much treats :((((

2. ktduck

Dec 10, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    [​IMG]

Here he is my sick little mate. He has not vomited for about 15 minutes now. I put him in a warm tub by himself to chill out. He's falling asleep but I'm watching him

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Is he getting grit along with his treats? he needs grit to be able to process anything other than his crumble or he can get blocked up, might be why the stuff is coming back up he hasn't a way to process it.

4. ktduck

Dec 10, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yeah I stupidly gave them peas today when
    We were in the yard and they didn't have there grit, I didn't realise this until after he finished vomiting and i re capped the day.big lesson and i still feel awful.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's okay he'll be fine [​IMG], just remember to always have grit available for them. when in doors and not able to get grit from the ground. How's he doing now?

6. ktduck

Dec 10, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    He is fine! I totally freaked out! He was such a polite little vomiter too, was sitting on my
    Lap and carefully got up and did it in the corner. Sheesh these ducks have me wrapped around their beaks! Thanks for your advice and help, I feel a lot better :)

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good to hear, and I know how easily they can get us wrapped around their bills, mine are out in -7* weather and I want to bring all 36 in the house, but I have to live with my dh who would not be happy with that prospect. I just went to check on them all their house doors are open so they can go in if they want too, only ones I found inside were 1 chicken laying an egg, 2 rooster and 2 hens in the other house all the rest are huddled under the wood shed. Hopefully they can make it through the next 5 days or so of this frigid weather. Hope your enjoying your summer. [​IMG]

8. ktduck

Dec 10, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I can't believe they are not inside!! Nutcases. Also, thank you for the thread on angel wing, after reading through it I'm pretty sure that they are just his new wings and they are heavy.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Great news, they can sure make us worry. When my first drake to hatch here started getting in his blood feathers and was having a problem keeping them up oh my I just knew something was wrong with him, I didn't even know BYC existed back then didn't even have a computer[I'm ancient I know] but I did get Storeys book on raising ducks and my did that help me, Now I am hooked on BYC and all the great info so close to us. Sure makes life easier when it comes to our ducks/etc. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by