HELP ASAP! new chick with unhealed navel & stuff stuck to it

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chick2flick, Mar 9, 2014.

1. chick2flick

chick2flick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2013
    I had a hen that went broody over some eggs. It was her first time & she only stayed there for the first couple of days. So I took the eggs to hatch them. Yesterday the first egg hatched. The chick was still attached to part of the shell by the navel cord and we left it alone for nature to do it's work. Last night after the shell & cord had come off, I inspected the chick and found that some of the litter shavings had stuck to the navel area & dried blood. I did some internet research about it and I know the causes of unhealed navel problems, but couldn't find anything about how to help it. So to help guard against infection, I poured some peroxide on it. This morning the chick is still alive, but not doing well at all.

Is it possible to soak the area in some warm water to help loosen some of the litter shavings & dried blood and maybe save the chick? I don't think the unhealed area is very big...maybe the size of a small pea. Other than this problem, the chick seems to be fine. Except of course now it's getting weak.

Please.....any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    This is called mushy chick disease, or omphalitis. Treatment-none. cull.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How is the chick now? This sounds a little more like a retained umbilical cord that hasn't dried up and fallen off yet rather than omphalistis. I have never seen mushy chick disease, but there is a very wet abdomen with foul smelling discharge, and then chicks always die in a few days. This does sound like a weak chick that may not make it. I would give it electrolytes in the water, but there isn't much else you can do.

4. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    I had one, my broody hatched it. The others were ok. The navel wasn't healed chick had huge issues.

5. captainmommy3

captainmommy3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Ok my chick was hatched today and seems well other wise be she has this....what's wrong is it possible she will be okay? I have her in a warm humid crib eight now. She has drank and seems okay. The blood was on her feathers but isnt coming from the umbilical. [​IMG]

6. captainmommy3

captainmommy3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Just a little update. I woke up ever 2 hrs to check humidity and heat in her humid crib and at 5:10 am this morning she was fine! She had fluffed up and her belly had closed she had begun drinking water holding her head up and eyes open. She also pooped for confirmation that her bowels are working. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by