HELP ASAP PLEASE!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mrsbexie, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Mrsbexie

Mrsbexie New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    I dont usually post in here BUT my sister had a chicken have a fit and die on her tonight while I was on the phone with her! She doesnt have net access till tomorrow and is a little worried it might be contagious. She has fresh hatched chicks to take care of! She txtd me the following description about what happened:

Pasty yellow poo, general lethargy for a day or 2, picking at feet yest. No sign of egg bound, but acting same way as egg bound chicken that died. No obvious signs of injury.appeared 2b drinking. Chicken is old as anything. The boys said she was dying, and had a cut on her leg just before she fitted and died. She curled her neck in and fitted for a few seconds before dying. I suspect old age or egg bound, maybe both. Or infection somewhere i didn't see.

She also mentioned this:
    I found maggots in their nesting box this week too.. When i cleaned It. Under all the hay. My bad for being neglecting, been so busy i missed my usual clean out
    Also we had been getting weird eggs, egg pimples, big, cone shaped. Could be from her, showing her reproduction was going haywire
    Any ideas what it could be or if it is dangerous for her chicks??

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    New York
    Not sure what it would be, but if the chicks are still in the same box, you should be moving them to a different set up. Get the old box cleaned out and let it air out. Probably wipe it down or spray it with clorox.

Chicks are fine without their mom. Unless you have another hen willing to take care of them. Like I have 2 hens that usually are more than willing to take care of chicks not their own.

PS...I have no clue how you did your post, but it is very hard to read.

3. Mrsbexie

Mrsbexie New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    I copied and pasted it from my emails! Will edit it :)

The chicks are not from that hen, we were just worried it might be something contagious but have no idea what?

4. Mrsbexie

Mrsbexie New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    FIXED!! It formatted it instead of putting it as normal :)

5. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    New York
    Okay :)

I am really no expert, but I do have some background due to being raised on a working dairy farm and always being around animals. Have had chickens quite a few years.

Just bury the chicken that passed away. Deep enough so other critters don't dig it up. Clean out the nest box good and spray with clorox and let it air outside of the coop.

If you were finding odd shaped eggs, then yes it probably was the one that just passed away. How old was the bird ?

Chicks are always a handful to take care of. How many is she working with ?

6. Mrsbexie

Mrsbexie New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    I asked her and the chicks are in a different coop, don't share food or water with the dead hen so they are away from it.

I have no idea how many chicks she has to be honest! She lives on the other side of Aust to me!

The hen was very old... she got given them when she moved to her new house. She had another one who died of the egg thingy a few weeks ago. (lol the egg thingy! I don't know anything about chickens!! But where they get stuck?) so she is thinking it was the same but just had a fit and died a different way!

Thanks so much for your replies!! Hopefully she can get on the net tomorrow!!

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The "fits" and posturing are just part of the death process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by