Help ASAP!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HeneryHawk, Dec 23, 2008.

1. HeneryHawk

HeneryHawk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2008
    Valley, AL
    Just introduced 6 RIR's about 8 to 10 wk's old to a 4 mnth old hen. She's pecking one in the rear end and it's bleeding.. Pecks the other ones on the heads....What should I do and WHY is she doing this? ALL HELP NEEDED.....

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    It'll heal ok but you need to separate them before it gets worse. Can you put the younger ones in a dog cage in the coop so they can get familiar but can't touch? Good luck -

3. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I would separate them...esp the injured one. Maybe even give the younger ones a little more time to catch up in size. I had to do that when I introduced a younger one to my 8 month old hen. It didn't go so well at first but they are now in the same coop doing fine.
    I housed them side by side in separate quarters, then after a month I tried introducing them again and it went fine.

4. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    I have no idea why, Not because there isn't a reasonable answer, but because I have much to learn in the chicken world still. Do not panic, just remove or isolate the hen or the chicks, (preferably the chicks) and check them for serious wounds.

Best of luck

- jenny

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    She is trying to show them who is boss. Time to put her in a pet carrier with the chicks running outside of it around her. She picked "the weakest" in her opinion to make bleed.

It will only continue... Once they are a little older they will work out the pecking order and everything will be OK... if it's not then you cull the hen that does it.

6. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    how is your coop/ where u keep them set up is there a way to cut the run in half with some extra chicken whire you gor around so that way they got room to move around and still the older hen can not get them just introduce them slowly just keep an eye on them and maybe introduce one at a time so the hen doesnt feel like she being taken over, or do it id increasing hours for intro let them be together for an hour or so then next time double the time and so on untill your hen is comfortable

7. HeneryHawk

HeneryHawk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2008
    Valley, AL
    THANK YOU ALL!!!! am in the process after I post this reply of bringing them in to get them away from my big hen. Keep the post coming...Maybe besides helping me it will help others....[​IMG]

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I've learned the hard way not to introduce birds that are less than the same size into the flock. Even then the new birds will be picked at until the pecking order is established. Adult banties can and do survive with larger birds as long as they are adults. Then you segregrate your birds back to the appropriate age groups, you should treat the injuried bird with something like Blu-Kote spray to cover any bloodied spots. If not the other birds will start pecking at the injury site.

9. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Quote:yes, that is the magic of BYC [​IMG]s

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by