HELP ASAP!

ChickensXOXO

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
The Carolinas
I had a hen to hatch out 10 chicks Sunday, and today, there's a chick in the nest trying to hatch, but nobody is sitting on the nest!

What do I do, if anything? I don't have an incubator.

I had a hen to hatch out 10 chicks Sunday, and today, there's a chick in the nest trying to hatch, but nobody is sitting on the nest!

What do I do, if anything? I don't have an incubator.

Well here is an opinion surely to be criticized...has it pipped or zipped...? I would think at this point you could go ahead and start hatching it, it may be vaccum sealed in there do to no moisture now from the hen. I would hatch the top off and peel back some of the lining and see if it is stuck..You are going to let in die the shell if you don't anyway, so you may as well give it a shot.

After you peel back the lining of the shell you could wrap or mist the lining and see if it will continue to finish. I would put it under a heat lamp so it don't get chilled after it hatchs or you hatch it. It may have something wrong with it, but at least give it the benifit of the doubt.

I have had to help chicks out before and some times they make it and sometimes they don't it is just meant to be...

Hope this helps keep us posted! good luck!!

Yeah, it's already got it's beak out, and I could see it breathing.

I decided to catch the mom and babies, and make her stay on the nest... I hope that will be okay... I was getting worried about the little guy, so it was the best solution to me.

How long should I keep her on the nest? I just propped something in front of the nest, to keep her and the babies inside.

Yeah, it's already got it's beak out, and I could see it breathing.

I decided to catch the mom and babies, and make her stay on the nest... I hope that will be okay... I was getting worried about the little guy, so it was the best solution to me.

How long should I keep her on the nest? I just propped something in front of the nest, to keep her and the babies inside.

Well I would give it a couple hrs and then check it again, if it still hasnt zipped I would probably help it anyway...it could still be suction cupped in there and not able to turn and zip

Well I would give it a couple hrs and then check it again, if it still hasnt zipped I would probably help it anyway...it could still be suction cupped in there and not able to turn and zip

I agree, that you may need to help it. No point in loosing it at this point.

If you have more than one hen, the girls continue to add to the pile and it causes some chicks to hatch later than the others. You are really lucky it has stayed alive without the broody's warmth. Definitely a keeper.

Helping is really easy. Doing it the first time fraught with uncertainty is the only obstacle. It may die if you don't help. I've helped many, usually with great results. GL

It's pipping good and making it's way out the shell! I took a little of the shell off to help it, but it seems to be doing good on it's own. I'll check it again soon.

It's pipping good and making it's way out the shell! I took a little of the shell off to help it, but it seems to be doing good on it's own. I'll check it again soon.

highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom