1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    My wynadotte hen 2 1/2 years old started acting a little under the weather about 3 days ago. I haven't noticed her eating or drinking much at all. She is usually the most energetic of my bunch. she is doing her neck a little funny like something is in her craw but she hasn't been eating much at all if any so I wouldn't think that was the problem. I noticed under her neck kinda stuck out so I felt it. I can feel her neck or whatever it is. what could the problem be? I know its got to have something to do with her neck cause she will do it funny from time to time.

2. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    [​IMG] don't know if you can tell anything by the picture but I went ahead and posted one

3. lauranickerson

lauranickerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    The picture doesn't say much to me, but try to describe what she does with her neck? Is it like this video?
    [​IMG]

4. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    its not pulling up anythingfor me to see. I will describe until I see the video. its like a side swallow. if that makes any sense. I can feel her neck to.

5. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    no no no nothing like that. its like she is trying to adjust her neck

6. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    also she has runny poop

7. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    by the way what is gape worm

8. lauranickerson

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    Gapeworm is a parasitic worm that infects the trachea of a bird. It can block the airway, which is why they stretch and whatnot to clear it.

Is it kind of a sideways adjustment? Any wheezing? Runny nose? Ruffled feathers?

I'm not a vet or expert, so hopefully someone with more experience will join in here, too....

9. lauranickerson

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    How about this video? Anything like this?

[​IMG]

10. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    no wheezing no runny nose no ruffled feathers. yes its like a sideways adjustment

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by