1. SoraAkasuna

SoraAkasuna Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2015
    cave junction
    so my neighbor had like 30 chicken and something I got to mother than two of them and he brought them over and they're really emaciated and so I thought feeding them were doing so good and they were acting funny before but I said them and they refilled the crops really fulland now they look like they're gagging not open mouth gagging but shaking their head doing the movements what's wroNg

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    What food did you offer them ?

The reason for the head shaking could be for many reasons..maybe speak to the owner..see if they have ongoing issues with illness in their flock...tell them about your observations of the ones that you have fed..

3. SoraAkasuna

Feb 26, 2015
    cave junction
    Well normal laying pellets and a little bread and they said they didn't have any problems

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Maybe with 30 they did not pay attention enough to each individual.
    They may be over full. I am thinking the bread is not a good idea. When were they wormed last if ever?
    If they have worms you may not see them. It takes a heavy infestation to end up seeing them in the droppings.
    With emaciated birds you will want nutrition to be the number one priority. The bread is not so good for a healthy hen let alone a sickly one.
    Perhaps you can give them some scrambled eggs tomorrow instead.

If they only started head shaking after eating a lot of food I think over full. If it goes on when the crop is not so full there may be a more serious issue.

Best wishes

Babs

5. SoraAkasuna

Feb 26, 2015
    cave junction
    Thank you for the info, I always worm any chickens I get before introducing them into my flock. I don't believe they had a good life where they were. They may be overly hungry and just gorged them selves

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2 SoraAkasuna. If they gorged themselves, it can possibly cause crop and/or gizzard impactation. Since they are gaping and head shaking, this is a sign of crop adjusting. I recommend not feeding them until their crop feels empty. When you feed them again, only feed them abit at a time, gradually building up to normal feeding. Feed them layer pellets or crumbles, no bread at all

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by