1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help...Ash tree wood chips ok?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ShaggysGirl, Sep 19, 2009.

1. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Hi guys,
    I use the deep litter method. Currently one coop has pine shavings, and the other has shaving along with straw.
    My Dad just had some ash trees cut down. They ground down the stumps and he has a lot of wood chips from that. Would that be ok for me to haul over and use in the coops? He said there is some dirt in there too, which I figure my chicks won't mind since they love dust baths.
    DH is concerned about them being chips and not shaving and the fact they are from ash trees. I don't think Dad's trees had it but some around here have some ash tree disease.
    Thanks
    Rhonda

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Most likely the ash trees died from emerald ash borrerer. I have lost many many many trees to them. Your chickens mght find some treats in those chips.

Ash wood chips will break down fast and are not good for mulch around flower beds. They might not last as long as pine and wont smell as nice.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    But they won't hurt the chickens, and they are free, so I'd use them. You might need a bit more lime or DE or something to manage odors, depending on your setup.

4. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Thanks Pat & Dawn, Looks like I'll be shoveling wood chips next week [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by