Help! Assisted Hatching turned to yolk disaster!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hfrey, Sep 23, 2015.

1. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    I'm a newbie and I've read an article on here multiple of times that I should never help a chick unless it needs it. I've also read about if the yolk was to come out what I should do. I had to assist a chick hatch this morning because it wasn't moving much, but when it came out (no blood), they yolk was hanging out just a little bit so I wrapped a warm paper towel around it and placed it in a cup in the incubator, now (6-7 hours later) I come home and the chick so how made its way out of the cup and onto the incubator ground with even more , yucky , smelly dark red yolk hanging out! I picked it up and put it in a bigger up and it keep squirming around and chirping LOUDLY. What do I do? I don't want to loose the sweet little baby.

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    If it is smelly...it may be a mush belly. Not good..may be infected. On the other hand, keep doing what you are doing, It may..absorb the yolk again. Just not sounding good. A photo would be good. I've had them with a bit of yolk out, and I just gently push it in, put neo on it, and hold it in place for about a half an hr. Works pretty good..if...there isn't a lot. But yours sounds like a lot.

[​IMG] And, good luck with your baby.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  3. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    Once again I'm a newbie, I'll take a picture but could I push it back in or could it hurt it?

4. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Take a photo, I'll take a look.

5. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    [​IMG]

6. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    [​IMG]

7. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Oh wow, no .. I'm sorry, I don't think pushing it back in is going to help. Just keep it in it's cup and hope for the best. I see a lot of blood too. So probably a lot of blood loss. You never know. I've seen a lot of miracles. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  8. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    Okay , thank you. Do you think it will live? It's chirping and moving around acting fine..

9. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Like I said, you just never know. At this point, I would keep a wet paper towel around the area, Keep it damp through the day.

10. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    Okay, can I put Vaseline on it? Or neosporin?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by