1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Assisted Hatching turned to yolk disaster!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hfrey, Sep 23, 2015.

1. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    I'm a newbie and I've read an article on here multiple of times that I should never help a chick unless it needs it. I've also read about if the yolk was to come out what I should do. I had to assist a chick hatch this morning because it wasn't moving much, but when it came out (no blood), they yolk was hanging out just a little bit so I wrapped a warm paper towel around it and placed it in a cup in the incubator, now (6-7 hours later) I come home and the chick so how made its way out of the cup and onto the incubator ground with even more , yucky , smelly dark red yolk hanging out! I picked it up and put it in a bigger up and it keep squirming around and chirping LOUDLY. What do I do? I don't want to loose the sweet little baby.

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    If it is smelly...it may be a mush belly. Not good..may be infected. On the other hand, keep doing what you are doing, It may..absorb the yolk again. Just not sounding good. A photo would be good. I've had them with a bit of yolk out, and I just gently push it in, put neo on it, and hold it in place for about a half an hr. Works pretty good..if...there isn't a lot. But yours sounds like a lot.

[​IMG] And, good luck with your baby.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  3. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    Once again I'm a newbie, I'll take a picture but could I push it back in or could it hurt it?

4. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Take a photo, I'll take a look.

5. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    [​IMG]

6. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    [​IMG]

7. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Oh wow, no .. I'm sorry, I don't think pushing it back in is going to help. Just keep it in it's cup and hope for the best. I see a lot of blood too. So probably a lot of blood loss. You never know. I've seen a lot of miracles. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  8. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    Okay , thank you. Do you think it will live? It's chirping and moving around acting fine..

9. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Like I said, you just never know. At this point, I would keep a wet paper towel around the area, Keep it damp through the day.

10. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    Okay, can I put Vaseline on it? Or neosporin?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by