~HELP~Australorp Hen~~~

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Chickinn, Jun 19, 2010.

1. The Chickinn

The Chickinn Songster

Sep 28, 2008
    near SF, CA
    Hi, I need help diagnosing what came out of my Australorp hen's stoll while she was in containment. This is how it all began: I was coming back from the Hen House after collecting eggs and I saw the hen laying there on the ground. So I brought her to the house and put her in a brooder that was empty. this morning, I took feed outto my cornish X meat birds and then I checked on her. When I checked on her, I noticed she had diahrea. I also found 3 roundish tan colored things in the diahrea. I decided to disect one of the roundish things and on the inside, I saw the tan color turn to a yellowish color to a red into a pink(rare cooked meat) color. Do any of you have any idea what this could be?

Edited for spelling

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010

2. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    possible worm?

3. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Crowing Premium Member

So was the tan stuff rubbery? They can lay the membranes of eggs without the rest of the egg, or in this case sounds like some of the tissue surrounding the ovaduct which can also happen with or without an egg. She might have been eggbound and is now clearing that. Keep her in lock up so you can monitor her till she is back to normal.

4. The Chickinn

The Chickinn Songster

Sep 28, 2008
    near SF, CA
    Quote:No, not a worm, already researched all of the internal, parasites(because this was near her stool).

5. The Chickinn

The Chickinn Songster

Sep 28, 2008
    near SF, CA
    Quote:Yes, the tan stuff was rubbery. I am sure this is not the membrane of an egg, also. Have seen many of those before and this looks nothing like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by