HELP... baby 6 wk old silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chixie, Nov 2, 2009.

1. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    My silkie is 6 weeks old and this morning its head is turnid almost completely backwards... she can stand but cannot straighten her head... please someone help me...

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    sounds like it could be wry neck. Try some polyvi-sol liquid vatamins (with out added iron the same kind used for infant children (can be found almost anywhere) also get 400 dosage of vitamin e capsolls and put hole in one end and squirt the liquid down the chickens throat, keep bird inside where warm and make sure it gets water and feed if it can on its own, if not you wight have to feed it.

here is a good link also this is quiet common

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  3. chixie

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    thank you... its pretty severe... I amnot sure if its gonna make it... she was fine yesterday and last night... I am gonna try

4. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I had that happen to a chick once too and it was because it was cold, as soon as I upped the temp in the brooder it was fine.

5. chixie

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    MY chicks are still under the heat lamp and are inside... I gave her polyvisol and she seems a litltle better... she is actually walking around and eating on her own... I put her back withthe rest because she was stressing.. but I am watching her/him really close

6. chixie

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    my silkie seems to be doing better... she is up more... she is able to hold her head straighter and up for longer amount of time....she has to go around in circle to get it there... she is eating and drinking better also

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by