HELP!!! Baby bunny!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Jan 4, 2011.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Today is one of the first days it hasn't been raining and I am getting over a cold so I went out to feed and water all the animals and checked on my litter of baby bunnies and noticed that one of the babies is sick and has a very runny nose... what do I do... HELP PLEASE!!!

2. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I would bring the baby inside and put it on a heating pad (on low and covered w/ a towel) first thing. Observe it and see if there's something obvious going on. Do they need fresh bedding? What kind of bedding do you use? Could it be an allergy? Is anyone else sick?
    I hope it's nothing serious - I'm sure you'll get more input soon - Good luck.

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    No one else is sick, they have fresh bermuda for bedding inside their nestbox. They are 3 1/2 weeks old.

4. thebritt

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Do you hear any wheezing when it breaths?

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Yes and a very runny nose.

6. thebritt

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    May need antibiotics, which may mean a visit to the vet [​IMG] . I would definately bring it inside. Do you have any Amoxicillin on hand? That's what vets usually perscribe for these things.

7. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Isolate ASAP!

8. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I have baytril and clavamox.

I have to add they aren't weaned yet... do I still isolate?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  9. thebritt

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Baytril is good - I'm not sure of the correct dosage, though. Can you call a vet to find out? If you use antibiotics, be sure to give some probiotics, such as yogurt w/all the cultures, as well. Antibiotics kill the good bacteria in the gut as well as the bad stuff. Yes, you can isolate, but I would bring mom in to nurse it in the evening, then put mom back outside w/the others. As soon as you see improvement (3-4 days), you can put it back in the nestbox.

10. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I just went out there to get it and I picked up all the baby buns and I couldn't tell which one it was! It had a runny nose and wouldn't come out of the nest box a few hours ago, now they all look normal!!! WHAT! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by