1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!!! Baby chick can't stand

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Olive, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Olive

Olive Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2007
    Cedar Rapids, Ia
    I don't know what to do! I have a 2 day old chick that can't stand. It just keeps rolling, like its head is to heavy. I check its feet and legs and they look find. It can push with its feet. I have it separated from the other chicks. I've been hand feeding and drinking. So it has been eating and pooping. Has somebody ever seen this before? I really don't want to put it down. Any ideas? on what I should do?

Mary
    [​IMG]

2. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Sounds like mareks or cocodile, I dont know what to tell ya im inexperience when it comes to that. Do you have them on medicated feed?.

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Give it time and watch it and the others closely. It's probably not a disease
    if it is only affecting the one chick and I'm assuming it's never been able to stand.

Quoting Dlhunicorn "give your little chickie three drops of POLYVISOL three drops in beak once a day for a week to deal with any deficiency issues."

4. Olive

Olive Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2007
    Cedar Rapids, Ia
    It has never been able to stand. I'm also am feeding it medicate chicken started feed. It really doesn't eat much. Can I get that polyvisol at Theisen's? Do you think that will help? I also have another chick whose foot is all curled up. My DH put its foot on some cardboard and taped it up, hoping that will help to straightening it. How long should we leave that on? As you can see we are totally new at this. Any help would be apprieciated.

Thanks

Mary

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Polyvisol is a children's vitamin. You can get it at any pharmacy.

I don't want to take a guess on your chances with the chick that
    can't stand. There are stories on this forum with both happy and sad
    endings. We've had both ourselves. Take care of the chick but don't
    get too attached to it.

As for the curled toes the cardboard thing is all you can do. It may
    heal or it may not. I have A 4 week old roo with curled toes
    on one foot. He's as crazy and healthy as the rest. He has a disability. [​IMG]

6. fdnick

fdnick Master Chicken Hoarder

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    I have had a couple do that, I just make sure it eats and drinks and by the 3rd or 4th day they are walking and even running.. its almost like they are splayed out of the shell.. but they do outgrow it..
    good luck..
    Denna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by