HELP.. baby chick cant walk

Pics

Melmba

Chirping
Aug 7, 2020
Hes just crawling around ... hatched yesterday .. i placed him in brooder after fluffing up and soon noticed its just crawling with legs to the front .. hes been seperated from rest ever since .. ive treated him for spraddle leg even though its legs are not to the side, ive read maybe its slipped tendon so i massaged his legs ive stretched them backwards for 10 mins i read somewhere here to do that, and for a second he got up and i thought yesss it worked but then went back to the usual , ive had him in a glass strengthen his legs throughout the day still no luck.. please help

Attachments

• 16050273743487975564598857705344.jpg
    16050273743487975564598857705344.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 36
Hes just crawling around ... hatched yesterday .. i placed him in brooder after fluffing up and soon noticed its just crawling with legs to the front .. hes been seperated from rest ever since .. ive treated him for spraddle leg even though its legs are not to the side, ive read maybe its slipped tendon so i massaged his legs ive stretched them backwards for 10 mins i read somewhere here to do that, and for a second he got up and i thought yesss it worked but then went back to the usual , ive had him in a glass strengthen his legs throughout the day still no luck.. please help
After hatching hundreds of chicks.. my suggestion is poultry nutri drench administered directly to the beak! Otherwise, what sort of supplements are available to you?.. At the very least.. IF I had nothing else.. I would offer either some raw egg yolk or boiled/smashed egg yolk.

If it isn't splay leg.. very possibly nutritional deficiency in the hatching eggs!

:fl

After hatching hundreds of chicks.. my suggestion is poultry nutri drench administered directly to the beak! Otherwise, what sort of supplements are available to you?.. At the very least.. IF I had nothing else.. I would offer either some raw egg yolk or boiled/smashed egg yolk.

If it isn't splay leg.. very possibly nutritional deficiency in the hatching eggs!

I dont have nutri drench but all my chicks even this one have this "poultry drink in their water.. ill try the raw egg and see how it goes 👍

Attachments

• 16050282808319001711349386104196.jpg
    16050282808319001711349386104196.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 16050282935785555061690603125127.jpg
    16050282935785555061690603125127.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 13
I dont have nutri drench but all my chicks even this one have this "poultry drink in their water.. ill try the raw egg and see how it goes 👍
Not sufficient for a bird (chick) in actual need, that's more like electrolyte water.. it doesn't have any amino acids.. presuming that's what nil means is not enough to list.. also.. no B vitamins noted that I could see.. it's not likely going to help this chick.. according to my experience anyways... even a human B complex crushed into something would be helpful. Any bird vitamins from a pet store.. Some folks already have liquid children's vitamins on hand..

Is this chick actually drinking yet or pecking at things?

If it isn't drinking you will need to hold it in your hand with beak facing the bend in your forefinger and drip the egg yolk/water.. just below the nostrils where the chick will naturally gobble and swallow when it feels it enter the mouth.. Using the bend in your finger to help catch the drop and direct he beak together.. Do at this at least a couple drips a few times per hour until you see improvement.. Usually the nutri drench works rapidly giving a burst of energy and fight to the little one.

Of course.. not all will make it even though we try are best. There are things going on the inside we can't see.. and this condition MAY or may not be effecting other organs.. It's always a wait and see for them to start eating, drinking, and most importantly pooing. I have links to tube feeding if that's something you want to try to get more nutrients in.. I don't do that as it isn't in line with my goals.. I try the supplements being suggested and if no results.. usually euthanize by about day 3 if needed instead of letting them starve.

Also.. I could be off base.. I wonder if @WVduckchick is around and has any ideas to share.. TIA!

Not sufficient for a bird (chick) in actual need, that's more like electrolyte water.. it doesn't have any amino acids.. presuming that's what nil means is not enough to list.. also.. no B vitamins noted that I could see.. it's not likely going to help this chick.. according to my experience anyways... even a human B complex crushed into something would be helpful. Any bird vitamins from a pet store.. Some folks already have liquid children's vitamins on hand..

Is this chick actually drinking yet or pecking at things?

If it isn't drinking you will need to hold it in your hand with beak facing the bend in your forefinger and drip the egg yolk/water.. just below the nostrils where the chick will naturally gobble and swallow when it feels it enter the mouth.. Using the bend in your finger to help catch the drop and direct he beak together.. Do at this at least a couple drips a few times per hour until you see improvement.. Usually the nutri drench works rapidly giving a burst of energy and fight to the little one.

Of course.. not all will make it even though we try are best. There are things going on the inside we can't see.. and this condition MAY or may not be effecting other organs.. It's always a wait and see for them to start eating, drinking, and most importantly pooing. I have links to tube feeding if that's something you want to try to get more nutrients in.. I don't do that as it isn't in line with my goals.. I try the supplements being suggested and if no results.. usually euthanize by about day 3 if needed instead of letting them starve.

Also.. I could be off base.. I wonder if @WVduckchick is around and has any ideas to share.. TIA!
I have vitamin b complex.. does the dosage matter? i will crush it into the water .. i am hand feeding with a pippette he wont be able to reach any food or water dish ive sprinkled chick crumb on the floor hes not pecking it.. i have half a plastic tumbler with water the pouktry drink and splash of ACV .. i was feeding soggy chick crum till u mentioned egg yolk intake is barely anything ,, think im gonna have to be rough and open his mouth like u mentioned . If the time comes to end his suffering i dont know wat im gonna do cos i cant do it and got nobody else to do it for me 😭😭.. hes fighting me very strong considering so i have hope... hes not weak at all.

Attachments

• 16050304667285194898552371821951.jpg
    16050304667285194898552371821951.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 10
im gonna have to be rough and open his mouth like u mentioned
I don't open mouths.. I just drip below the nostrils and let it roll around into the mouth naturally..

Hydration is key.. If it hatched from your own eggs and you're also using your own yolk it could still be missing whatever nutrient is needed.. so there's that.. from another flock.. another type of risk like salmonella since I'm truly suggesting raw yolk.. but we are doing our best here!

B vitamins are water soluble and cannot be overdoses is my understanding. I do not know the correct dosage though.. and with it be being a hail mary to save a life.. I probably wouldn't be conservative but maybe a bit liberal with the dosage?? @Eggcessive or @Wyorp Rock might be able to offer more exact suggestion.

Also.. if the chick does get enough energy to start pecking around.. go ahead and crush the feed extra into basically a powder.. this increased my bantam survival rate enough to be worth mentioning.

ETA: none of my splay leg cases were ever due to surface or incubation parameters.. I consider it at least sometimes to be 100% genetic.

Vitamin B12 deficiency. I use liquid and give it to them often. Also if the bedding is smooth or slick it can cause splayed leg.
My incubator floor has a rubberised meshy shelf liner .. and the brooder has a puppy pad as the flooring which to me doesnt seem slippy, i hope its not 🙈🙈🙈 it doesnt appear to be splayed leg so i just hope its the vit b ... ive crushed it up into the yolk and the water... how long do you think till i see results and do u advize putting liquid vit b to all chicks after they hatch? How much do u put

If this babe was mine, I'd be treating for spraddle leg asap. I'd also add vitamins in case it was a vitamin deficiency. Just my two cents. Infant polyvisol without iron is good to have on hand for vitamin deficiencies. If it something like wry neck, add Selenium too.

Back
Top Bottom