help!! Baby chick found on its side trampled

jay1995

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
St. Augustine, Florida
I went out to feed this morning and found a chick laying on its side under the heat lamp. They all gather under it and hudle ive moved it as close as I can and they still do this. This chick is 2 months old and isnt doing well. he has lost feeling in one leg so he cant wallk or stand. Ive been watching him for a few days and he has lost weight. They are able to and drink all day. we took him out and layed him on the floor his stomach feels squished in. I medicated his water and have been dipping his beak. He was eating and now has stopped. He has not pooped in 2 hours. and he just sits and lay on his side with his eyes closed. He peeps every few minuets. Please tell me what I should do. Thanks, Jay

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your chick. Keeping him isolated and warm, and providing softened feed and water can help. If you can get to a drug store, you may find poly-vi-sol drops (WITHOUT iron) in the infant care section. 2-3 drops in the beak each day to help with his stressed condition, if he can swallow by himself.

Are there many chicks in a small area? If they are overcrowded they can injure each other trying to stay under a small lamp. Are they fully feathered? Are they outdoors? They may need more warmth to stay healthy and safe.

Good luck with your chick. Please let us know how things go.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom