Help! Baby chick is acting strange

jessicagoddard

Chirping
May 14, 2020
I’ve had my chicks for about a week now, and all of a sudden one of my chicks is acting like they can’t walk. She is very still and tired, and whenever she attempts to move, she chirps very loudly and backs up, and throws her head around. She also scratches at it constantly. I tried looking for anything on her, and I don’t see any physical problems. I have no clue what caused this behavior, she was fine one minute and now she’s like this. Does anyone have any clue why?

Update, there is something wrong with her mouth. It sounds like water when she breaths, and it looks like she’s trying to sit something up. Still have no clue what this is- or how to solve it.

Check for pasty butt, it's deadly fast!

She may have accidentally inhaled some water if it sound like crackling when she breathes. But spitting up.. fluid is blocked digestive most likely.
Her butt looks normal, and I checked inside her mouth and I can’t see anything stuck inside, so it’s most likely not anything to do with the crop.
Shes moving her head around strangely still, I have no clue what to do! 😬

Are you able to post a video to youtube and link here?

What are you feeding? Any supplements?

Have you seen the chick eat and drink? :fl
I will upload a video now, and come back with the link shortly. I’m using Purina medicated chick feed, (nothing added) and paper towels as bedding (not sure if this would affect anything- I’ve used the same method for all my chicks in the past) And I have not seen her eat/drink since it all started. It’s only been about a half an hour since she started doing this.

I will upload a video now, and come back with the link shortly. I’m using Purina medicated chick feed, (nothing added) and paper towels as bedding (not sure if this would affect anything- I’ve used the same method for all my chicks in the past) And I have not seen her eat/drink since it all started. It’s only been about a half an hour since she started doing this.

This is a pretty calm one, however it’s much more intense at times. (Head throwing and chirping)

Back
Top Bottom