HELP! Baby chick is lost under neighbors shed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BelenFamily, Feb 26, 2015.

1. BelenFamily

BelenFamily Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    Earlier this morning my dog scared one of my baby chicks so bad that she jumped right out of her playpen area we had them in. I've never before seen them jump that high and out of it before. But today it happened and our chick had ran under our neighbors shed. We've been out there all day but she wont come out. And she is the quiet one usually so when she's scared she isn't as loud as the other baby chicks she just finds a corner and stays their. I need help or advice.. How can I lure her out from under there before a snake or cat gets to her (if they haven't already) I don't want to give up on her. She was just a baby. We've tried putting her heat lamp and some food in front of the shed but so far nothing and we also tried pulling up chicken mothers on youtube since we don't own the parents of the chicks. We have also held the other chicks in front of the shed so it can hear its brothers and sister but nothing =\
    I'm so scared and don't know what else to do. My husband told me that there are cats in the neighbors lawn and might also be snakes under the shed. Please I do not want to give up on this baby chick. Can somebody help me??!?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Oh dear, that is a problem! The chick will not move at night. Have you been able to see it with a flashlight tonight? Would it be reachable with the curved handle of an old fashioned umbrella or cane? Can you fashion any type of Shepard hook that would reach? If not, there isn't much you can do besides stay and guard it all night or hope it comes out for breakfast. I hope she is reachable or else well hidden for the night.[​IMG] Update please!?!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The heat lamp in the dark may be what gets her out. Unfortunately, if she is very young, and has been without heat all day, it may be too late. But I would keep at it trying to get her into a cage with the heat lamp over it for warmth and light.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  4. BelenFamily

BelenFamily Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    @Eggcessive She is about 3 weeks old. We have food and the heat lamp just in case she comes out. I pray to God that if she doesn't come out tonight that she will come out early in the morning for food as @justplainbatty suggested. I'm just hoping that nothing has gotten to her yet. She was the smallest out of all the chicks and is usually the one who runs away from the others when they rough play. Thank you both I will be sure to keep you all updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by