1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help baby chick is not acting right please i'm asking please UPDATED

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lost, Jul 18, 2008.

1. lost

lost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    It hatched last night. It keeps putting his head between his feet. It seems like he can't move they are silkies.I moved his head seems like he should be ok but he puts his head right back down.He was curled up to a little stuff animal my kids put in there for the chicks. when I move it he acts like he can't raise his head and scoots backwards

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know what to tell you, but I think you will have to wait and see if it straightens out. Is she eating or drinking?

3. lost

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    I don't think so later I will try to feed here any thoughts on what to feed her that would be easy to

4. lost

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    We gave her sugar water seemed to help but she goes right back to fetal possition spelled as close as i can get she keeps her eyes closed

5. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I hope it gets better but in my experience they fail to thrive and later pass away when they act like that [​IMG] Sugar water is good to keep strentgh up and maybe it will pull through.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, you could try a little soupy mush made with starter chick feed and some yogurt, sweetened.

7. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sadly, I doubt this little one will make it. [​IMG] But I believe in miracles, and am hoping the best for you. Keep me posted.....

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sounds like it's pretty weak. Keep giving sugar water or Pedialite. If you can get any liquid children vitamins Poly-vi sol, that might help, give 3 drops in the beak. I give some scrambled eggs that are very broken up, and insert little bits at a time in the beak. Also depending on your chick starter, Southern States is very small and blends up easily into a mash with water, or you can buy parrot feeding formula, heck even baby food...

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I guess all this rain has all us Fl chicks up tonight, HaHa [​IMG]

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Get some poly-vi-sol drops (without iron) from the drugstore or Wal-Mart in the baby section. Give the baby 1 drop along side it's beak twice a day for a week, then taper off. They will sometimes do that when they have a vitamin deficiency.

"It is a known condition in young birds that a deficiency of vitamin B in the chick stage can cause paralysis of neck muscles."

Does the chick have a vaulted skull? If so, it may have bumped it's head. Not much you can do about that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by