HELP! Baby chick is sick and i cannot figure out what it is.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by andilusch, Oct 23, 2014.

1. andilusch

andilusch New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    My chick is about 2 weeks old. Was doing fine last night and this morning is laying down with head tucked under her and tail down and at times seems to be having trouble breathing. Neck puffs out with breath at times. no runny nose or discharge anywhere. no pasty butt. When i try to get it to walk it wobbles. Not eating or drinking on it's own. I haven't been able to check poop yet. i just brought it inside and separated it from the other chicks who seem to be doing fine. Stomach may be a little distended. When i pick it up it tries to peck at its stomach and seems in distress, besides being scared of me picking it up. I try to keep the food and water clean. I clean it out twice a day, but they really do make a mess of it fast.

This is the second set of chicks that i have had. We had zero problems with the first set. All chicks survived and have been great egg producers. With this flock we have lost 2 already, no signs just died overnight. That was in the first week. They have all seemed fine for the past week and this showed up suddenly in this one chick. Any help?

I have tried to research all of the symptoms but cannot find what this is. I was going to try the pedialyte and vitamins and maybe the apple cider but just not sure.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would treat for coccidiosis right away. You can get Corid from Tractor supply (might be for cattle) and give 1 tsp per gallon. I would try to dribble some in her mouth as well. I would treat them all. It won't hurt.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    X2. Corid or amprollium, or Ampromed are what I would try. ACV may irritate the intestines more right now. Pedialyte or electrolytes may help while you are getting Corid. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water, for 5-7 days. Afterward, I would give some vitamins and probiotics for a week.

4. andilusch

andilusch New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    Thank you. I just ran to store and got some Corid. How many times should I make it drink? Not drinking on its own right now. I dipped its beak and it drank and took about 3 sips on its own but then just laid back down. and if it works how long until I would see results?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did you get the liquid or the powder? If it is liquid you could feed her 2 undiluted drops now and 2 drops this evening. If not, then keep dipping her beak as often as you can. If she eats, you can pour a little Corid water on her crumbles to make them wet. Corid is hard to overdose. Most people will see some improvement within 24 hours or so. Make sure she is warm.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  6. andilusch

andilusch New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    thanks. all they had was the powder. so I mixed with water and have been dipping her beak every so often. she is not eating at all though.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Casportpony has directions on her signature at the bottom of her posts.

I take a tsp, put my finger on one side of the beak and with the tsp and finger squeeze her beak open a bit. It will be sloppy, but she needs water.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    With the powder, you can take 1.5 tsp and add enough water to make 2 tsp of solution or 10 ml. Then you can give her 2 drops twice a day to boost the Corid while continuing to dip her beak giving her the fluids with Corid.

9. chickincrazy

chickincrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2014
    The middle of nowhere
    There is a small chance he has something lodged in his throat. That may be why he isn't eating. Try gently massaging his throat and feeling for any obstructions. I have had this happen to my chicks before. One was lying down, panting and stretching out his neck every so often. He started foaming at the beak. He would not eat. I messaged his neck and put olive oil down his throat and a huge chunk of chick feed came out of his throat!!! Immediately he started breathe normally. This I learned is why you should dampen their food for the first few days.
    [​IMG]

10. andilusch

andilusch New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    Nothing appears to be in throat. Really shaking head a lot when tucked under and especially when I pick her up. But since I started the corid and a vitamin mix drink she occasionally stands up straight. She has eaten on her own but I still have to force her to drink. She still tucks her head and backs up with the head shaking. I have read other things and wondering if it could be a brain injury? But she seems to have slightly improved since the medicine started. No blood in poop but it is pretty watery. Any other thoughts if this doesn't work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by