help baby chick is sick!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shawneesas, Sep 4, 2013.

1. shawneesas

shawneesas Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    HELP ASAP PLEASE!

we had chicks born a week ago, and one had something wrong with its legs. He (or she) couldnt support itself on its legs and had an extra toe curled under each foot. we seperated him from the other 6 chicks and after a few days he could get around. Not as well as the others and his legs wouldent straighten out. he was about half the size of the others. we got home today and went to check on the chicks. he was lying on his tummy with his right wing spread out on the ground and he wouldnt open his eyes. he was fine a few hours ago. we found some poop on his feathers and got it off but realized it wasn't over the vent. we got him to drink a little bit of water but no food. he is walking a little bit but not much. what can we do? i don't want Mouse to die :'(

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  3. LeviS

LeviS Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    :welcome, I really do wish you the best of luck, the folks in the emergencies forum may have the answer.

4. shawneesas

Sep 4, 2013
    yea thx I put a post there. Mouse is doing better! Standing up ang drinking propel/ egg yolk!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck with 'Mouse'.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] you could also get him Polyvisol infant drops (at walmart, drugstores etc.) give him 2 drops- 3 times a day. If he eats well put the drops on a piece of food and offer it to him so you know he got it. If not put just 2 drops in the inside front of his beak - so he can decide if he wants to swallow it or not. Sounds like he just need some TLC and to be away from the others.

8. shawneesas

Sep 4, 2013
    mouse died :'(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by